Transfer music files from iTunes for Mac to iTunes for Windows

DarrellCoe

My son currently uses iTunes for Mac to store all his music for his iPhone. He is finding that his Mac will not accept the latest iPhone release because he needs a new OS release and possibly a faster processor. Any way, to make a long story short. He is now thinking of purchasing a PC laptop that will run the latest version of iTunes and upgrade his iPhone. BUT, all of his music is on his Mac PowerBook. Is there way to transfer his music stored on iTunes for Mac to iTunes for Windows?

One thing worth mentioning is if he intends on using both for playback that is fine, nothing needs to be done. But if he is going to get rid of the Powerbook, or otherwise mess with the OS, I'd strongly recommend deauthorizing that computer from being able to play iTunes stuff. If you don't, that configuration is authorized to play whether or not it still exists. Apple gives you 5 computers you can have authorized.

This may seem like no big deal, but, lets say something breaks like the HD in the Windows machine (or the powerbook, doesn't matter), and you reinstall. Now you want iTunes to play what you bought, you have to re-authorize and that is an additional authorization. So now you are up to 3 (4 if both hds magically died).

I admit, its not a problem for 99% of people. And you can deauthorize all computers (and reauthorize individually), but I think you can only do that once a year.

So basically, what I'm saying is, if you can deauthorize a computer that you don't plan on using for iTunes anymore, then it is better to do it than not.

SNGX1275,

My son was planning on giving me his PowerBook Laptop after he purchased a new Laptop. Since I have my own iTunes Library I was going to dump his files and install my files. Would I stil need to de-authorize the laptop? I was also thing of reformatting the HD and updating the OS

Re: deauthorize.
Is there a procedure to follow or a website that outlines the procedure that I should follow. This really the first time I have heard of the term "deauthorize".

My son currently uses iTunes for Mac to store all his music for his iPhone. He is finding that his Mac will not accept the latest iPhone release because he needs a new OS release and possibly a faster processor. Any way, to make a long story short. He is now thinking of purchasing a PC laptop that will run the latest version of iTunes and upgrade his iPhone. BUT, all of his music is on his Mac PowerBook. Is there way to transfer his music stored on iTunes for Mac to iTunes for Windows?
In iTunes I created a Music Playlist cleverly entitled "iPhone Playlist". I simply drag music I want on the iPhone here. I did exactly the same thing in iPhoto, creating an "iPhone Album" here as well & drag any photos I want on the iPhone in. Then on the iTunes iPhone menus I click on the sync "Selected Playlists" tab in music & the sync "Selected Albums" in photos.

Setup File Sharing between the two systems

drag-n-drop My Music\iTunes -> target system

the versioning info is in the iTunes Music Library.xml (open with NOTEPAD)
between the first <dict> ... and the second <dict>

Code:
<key>Application Version</key><string>10.6.1</string>

My son currently uses iTunes for Mac to store all his music for his iPhone. He is finding that his Mac will not accept the latest iPhone release because he needs a new OS release and possibly a faster processor. Any way, to make a long story short. He is now thinking of purchasing a PC laptop that will run the latest version of iTunes and upgrade his iPhone. BUT, all of his iPhone music is on his Mac PowerBook. Is there way to transfer his music stored on iTunes for Mac to iTunes for Windows?
Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced, and select both "Keep..." and "Copy..." The latter causes iTunes to put new music into the "organized" iTunes position.

Back