Transfer to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my old laptop broke a while ago. I can still get it to power up but nothing shows on the screen. Anyways I bought a new laptop and would like to transfer the data. I got a belkin transfer cable but it asks that I install software on the old computer. Obviously since I can not see the screen I am unable to do that. Is there a way around this using that cable? or is there another way to transfer pictures, movies, and music from my old harddrive to my new without removing either of the harddrives?

Place the old drive in a 2.5 inch enclosure with a USB connection to the new laptop. The cost is less than $20 to $25.
Then you can drag and drop to your heart's content, or use recovery or transfer software to do the job.
Only thing you need is knowledge about there the original email accounts, Quicken and other accounting accounts kept their folders on the older drives. The files in Documents and settings are easily done, of course.
You might also consider installing a new inverter in the old laptop... at a cost of under $30... making it good as new... It will take about 18 to 24 screws and a high quality, hard carbon steel #1 screwdriver and some common sense. When you get the screen off, the old inverter just unplugs and the new one quickly installs.

offroadxj07 said:
So my old laptop broke a while ago. I can still get it to power up but nothing shows on the screen. Anyways I bought a new laptop and would like to transfer the data. I got a belkin transfer cable but it asks that I install software on the old computer. Obviously since I can not see the screen I am unable to do that. Is there a way around this using that cable? or is there another way to transfer pictures, movies, and music from my old harddrive to my new without removing either of the harddrives?

Welcome to TechSpot...

Connect the laptop to an external monitor or HDTV with VGA/PC connection. See if that works, otherwise pop out the HDD from the old laptop. Go online and grab this:

17705.jpg

Cost anywhere from $5 to $10 but you'll need a desktop pc to burn what you need to a CD or DVD. Or do what was suggested in post number 2, otherwise watch this video on how to do it with the above image> http://www.cablesonline.com/44pinto40pin.html

raybay said:
Place the old drive in a 2.5 inch enclosure with a USB connection to the new laptop. The cost is less than $20 to $25.
Then you can drag and drop to your heart's content, or use recovery or transfer software to do the job.
Only thing you need is knowledge about there the original email accounts, Quicken and other accounting accounts kept their folders on the older drives. The files in Documents and settings are easily done, of course.
You might also consider installing a new inverter in the old laptop... at a cost of under $30... making it good as new... It will take about 18 to 24 screws and a high quality, hard carbon steel #1 screwdriver and some common sense. When you get the screen off, the old inverter just unplugs and the new one quickly installs.

Thanks, can you get the enclosures at best buy/circuit city? I do not believe it is inverter/screen because sometimes it would just completly shut down then not start back up for about 3 minutes. Sometimes Id have to give it a few love hits to get it to work properly. This made me also think it may be a loose wire somewhere but I do not have the skills to go through everywhere and tighten all the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back