Transferring data off a dead computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post on this board, yeah!

OK, so the plug on the AC adapter of my old Compaq laptop broke off recently, and I couldn't find a replacement for anything under $100 (it was a $700 computer!). Rather than pay that much for a new adapter, I did the only logical thing -- I ordered a new laptop. However, I need to find a way to get all my stuff from the old HD onto the new one, and the old laptop doesn't turn on anymore as the battery is dead. The only thing I could think of off-hand is to buy a HD enclosure, but is there any other (free) solution? TIA.

If you have an external USB hard drive, just put in there there usually (usually) the same

Otherwise you need an adaptor to go from 2.5" to IDE to then mount inside any desktop (usually about $1)

02429.jpg

Dam pic was bigger than I thought !!!

I'm afraid I have no idea what you just said... 2.5 to IDE? What does that mean? :haha:

And yes I have an external USB HD, but how would I get what's on the dead computer onto the external HD, if the old computer can't turn on? :confused:

I believe Kimsland is suggesting that you buy an adapter cable (such as this or this) that will allow you to hook the laptop HDD up in a desktop PC. Then, access the HDD and extract any data you care to.

Doh! I'm getting worse everyday.

I'll start being a lot more clearer in future (I may have rushed that post a tad)

Thanks Zenosincks

Anyway it's probably Sata inside that external caddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back