Transferring files from old XP PC to new Win7 PC

By ded2day
Oct 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Is there a way to transfer files, settings, programs, etc from an old xp hdd to a new win 7 hdd? I don't have the xp disc, nor the win 7 disc. I was hoping to just hook up the old hdd into the new pc. Will that work?
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

If it is a new PC, IDE HDDs will not work on Modern SATA PCs, and if they do, it will be very slow. What files do you wanna use? because you can transfer using a external HDD
  3. ded2day

ded2day TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 30

The old hdd is a sata, I dont have an external hdd. The files are pics, music, pdf's, assorted other stuff from years of use 300gb of stuff to transfer, and I dont want to buy an external hdd, or flash drives..I was just wondering if its possible to hook up the old hdd in the new machine and coppy/transfer the files over, or if there is a sata to usb cable that would work to make the old internal hdd an external one?
  4. JC713

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,803   +1,431

UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  6. ded2day

So when I plug it in to my new pc, do I need windows easy transfer on both hdd's? or will I be able to just copy files from the old one to the new one? or do I need windows easy transfer on just the new hdd?
  7. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

Use can use Microsoft's Windows Easy Transfer tool to transfer all personal files as well as all your Windows settings/preferences from XP to Win 7

However, all programs must be reinstalled (not transferred)

You can still use your old disk as an external drive when you're done for the extra storage
    UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

I didn't care for the Windows Transfer tool and found that drag-n-drop of the folders of my choice worked just find :)
    UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  9. JC713

yeah that is what I told him. that tool is crap
  10. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Just take the side off the tower, connect the old XP drive to the SATA port, fire up Windows and copy or move your files to the 7 drive.
  11. ded2day

Thanx for all the help.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.