Transferring info

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I transfer info from one hard drive to another?

My pc went down and got a new one. I would like to know how to transfer my old drive to my new. My motherboard went in my old and it was time for a new one anyways. I know people that would do this but I don't really have the time. Any advice? Also does anyone know where I can find update drivers for a dot matrix printer model Panasonic KX-P2123. Thanks.

"I know people that would do this but I don't really have the time"...

If you don't have the time, it must not be that important

Is your pc a laptop or a desktop? If it's a desktop, you can just pull out the HD and stick it into a free slot on the new computer. As for the drivers for the dot matrix printer ... www.google.com .... you can usually find anything you need on there :)

Spyder_1386 :)

You could always transfer your data onto a memory stick (flash disk, pen stick) and then copy it to your new computer? I can't remember if USB2 was out in 2002 ... if only USB1 was available at that stage you might have to wait a while for everything to copy lol. Writing to CD or DVD is another option?

Spyder_1386 :)

Do you have any specific specs for the old drive and the new computer? Model numbers would be great, we might be able to just drop the old drive in the new PC after all.

I have an inkling that some retail sales guy just told you that to make his life a bit easier, not thinking about what was actually best for the customer.

Connected with E&A_Maria_L
16:01:53 E&A_Maria_L Welcome to Dell Consumer Solutions Sales Chat! I hope you are doing well and thank you for waiting. My name is Aliza and I will be your Sales Agent today. Feel free to provide your phone number so that I can contact you if we get disconnected. How may I help you today?
16:02:22 Ben Vezzani Does the Inspiron 530 Desktop have an IDE controller?
16:02:38 Ben Vezzani I wasn't able to find this information anywhere
16:03:11 E&A_Maria_L i do aplogize but your system has only SATA controller
16:03:18 Ben Vezzani Ah, okay. Thanks!

You were not misled by whoever told you that your old drive won't work in the new computer.

However, you can still go to your local electronics store and drop $15-20 on an external IDE Housing, which will turn your old drive into an external USB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back