Transferring itunes files from an old laptop to a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old lap top is all but dead at this point. It will be more cost effective to replace it. Can I use a portable storage device to move all of my itunes files to my new computer?

it's not quite that simple. the easiest way is to sync the ipod and then sync again with the new pc. simply dragging the files to a usb stick and dropping on the new pc wont work (if it does, i think you have to register the music files again).

From my experience, once I plug into a new computer, the files on the I pod will be erased once i sync. So what am I to do?

The above suggestion to sync should work. FYI, Itunes creates M4P files which are locatable on your laptop's hard drive. The file name will be all screwed up but you can do a search for M4P and find them all. copy them to your new computer and see if Itunes will pick them up. This is the main reason I HATE anything apple. They try to make everything proprietary and ONLY theirs. Another option you have is to convert them to MP3 and try to reimport them into itunes. There are utilities to do this here is one http://www.m4p-mp3.com/. Google for more suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back