Transferring programs from one hard drive to another

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new computer and did not realize I was not buying Word, etc - just a 30 day trial or some such thing. So I need to know how to move my programs from my old computer to my new one. My daughter moved all my files but now I have a KVM switch (or something like that) hooked up so I can go from one computer to the other when I need to use a program that is on the old one but not the new one. That doesn't look so great having two towers side by side, so I want to reduce to just the new one but cannot until all the programs I have installed on this one are moved to the new one. help!

For most programs that are complicated like Office you can't. When things get installed a bunch of registry entries are made making simple copying of programs over impossible. You should be allowed to re-install Office to the new computer though (legally even) if you promise to remove it from your old one. If you have the student version, you can legally have that on up to 3 computers at once I believe.

If you are only a casual user of all the Microsoft Office programs and don't have or are for whatever reason unable to install (don't have disks ect) to the new computer, you could get OpenOffice and use that. It is mostly compatible with MS Office (can open and save to MS Office files), and is free. Available at www.openoffice.org

But wait, there is more...

I also have games that I bought from the internet and Roboform and some other programs that I really need but would prefer not to buy them again since I have already done that several years ago. Can I somehow get them over to the new computer? Thanks for the speedy and helpful reply.

I'm not sure, it is probably game specific. I don't really game so I'm not sure on the availability of redownloading free of cost, I imagine you can but I don't know. Also don't know what roboform is, so guess I can't answer. What games? Maybe someone else will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back