Transistors..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiternoise

Out of interest.. does anyone here know how many transistors an average motherboard has? (not including the chipsets?)

Count them !

Well, this gonna take a looooooooot of time indeed

[CENTER]COUNT THEM
:bounce:
[/CENTER]

Hum.. Grab a mobo and look up the specs on all the chips you see on it (not including the main chipset)?

When you are done, let us know :D

The number will vary greatly really.. You may have a cheap mobo with few features and everything integrated in the chipset (which you are not counting) and you may have a decent mobo using dedicated (more powerful, more complicated) chips for more features.

When i said excluding chipsets.. i literally meant, excluding all integrated circuits on the board..

And yes.. i do know how long it would take to count all of them, i just wondered if anyone had some kind of *guess* perhaps?

For instance, more than 10, more than 100, more than 10 000, more than a million?

There are no non-IC transistors on a mobo. If you exclude "chips", then you have voltage regulators that contain maybe a couple of dozen transistors each.

Okay,
Talking seriously, i don't think there're any transistors off-chip on the mobo, because it's a trend to decrease off-chip components and make everything integrated.
That's what i know...

If you exclude all chipset/ic's on mainboard, I'd say the number varies between "more than 10" and "more than 100" depending on the mainboard manufacturer.

I'd say your average Asus P4 mainboard has around 20-70 resistors on the circuit board.

Too bad the question was about transistors :D But heck, all them small colorful bits are the same anyway :p

Ok, thanks guys :p

(lol don't worry, i'm not genuinely concerned about this, just someone asked me off hand and i had no idea whatsever :p)

On a slightly different train of thought..how many transistors in p4 or an AMD 64 cpu?

How about a few concise examples to illustrate the rapid developments of the past few years? Intel's first processor, the 4004, debuted in 1971 and consisted of 2,300 transistors. Compare that to the 230 million transistors found in today's Pentium Extreme Edition 840. That's an increase by a factor of 100,000!

Let's try that again using a different measure. The space that used to be occupied by a single transistor now houses 5,845 of them. This development went hand in hand with a reduction in core voltage from 12 V (1971) to currently 1.2 V. And that's not even the lower limit; a conventional silicon-based transistor requires a minimum voltage of 0.7 V to perform one transition.
Read more here from Tom's Article

lol thanks ;)

Yeh.. the number of tran's in processors always amazes me..

Mind you, it's like Intel's new Core Duo.. amazing power (must be at lest 2x a P4) and yet they managed to DROP the temps..O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back