Traveling with an iPad: Impressions & Accessory Survival Guide

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/568-ipad-travel/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/568-ipad-travel/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

With all those accessories, seems more logical to just bring a laptop. I like tablets for doing consumption, but there is no way I could replace a PC with one.

Please do a review in the exact same format of the surface tablets. I would like to see how Microsoft's approach fares against Apple's. Apple up-sized a phone, Microsoft downsized a PC, let's see how it goes :p

So in order to have a tablet be as useful or as functional as a laptop, you have to carry a myriad of clunky, bulky third party accessories? Not exactly a major selling point, is it?

In order to discover if a tablet is a good tool to replace a computer and to fulfill all of our travel needs, we need, in fact to know how good it'll provide us easy access to information.

I think the most important aspect to consider in this travel guide - wich wasn't covered by the author -, was the software side. I always face HUGE difficulties to find the best apps to help me gather information, discover places (considering I'm brazilian and don't have wi-fi hotspots were I go or travel and considering that I don't have the 3g version of ipad2). Why not to develop a second part covering the software that could help people, such as those map apps that allows user to download certain amounts of map data to use offline?

I myself would love to see a comparison of iPad vs. Android based tablet related to travel. There are a number of Android tablets that could replace a number of those accessories needed.

Please do a review in the exact same format of the surface tablets. I would like to see how Microsoft's approach fares against Apple's. Apple up-sized a phone, Microsoft downsized a PC, let's see how it goes :p

I second this. I'm very interested in buying a surface tablet for my mother. The RT version. I'm not too big on tablets just yet, but I'd also be interested in the surface pro(or equivalent from another OEM) being reviewed the same way. Perhaps it could sway me.

I'd like to see the new Amazon Kindle HD reviewed in this format. I believe Techspot had a review of it not two days ago and it blew the iPad 3 out of the water in terms of everything but the camera. Honestly, who reeeeaaaallllyyy cares about a super high res camera on a tablet? Even the author to this article brought his own digital camera.

To me your conclusion reads like you wouldn't leave your notebook behind on *any* trip from now on. I agree it would be interesting to see a comparison of what your bag looked like in both scenarios. I can see the benefits of taking a tablet to read e-books or other content on (rather than a few bulky novels), and agree it would be good to take a few snaps with, but thats about it (unless you want to play angry birds in your cabin for the whole trip) - for any serious photography a compact laptop is the way to go and most recent DSLRs take HD video. Also I'm not sure that Logitech's keyboard layout is a fault, it is just in the same format as a Mac keyboard layout.

I travel all the time with my iPad, So far been to UK, Germany, France, Afghanistan, UAE and Thailand. Never had any issues with it. Just have the right wall adapters to fit your standard adapter and all is good. I use a monoprice premium sonic speaker. it charges via cable same as android phones. Last about 5-6 hours. only 34$. sounds OK for hotel room. You will not have a party with it but it portable. about size of a twinky. Headphones: I still use my old shure Mc2. they are old and need updating but still work great!!

To me your conclusion reads like you wouldn't leave your notebook behind on *any* trip from now on. I agree it would be interesting to see a comparison of what your bag looked like in both scenarios. I can see the benefits of taking a tablet to read e-books or other content on (rather than a few bulky novels), and agree it would be good to take a few snaps with, but thats about it (unless you want to play angry birds in your cabin for the whole trip) - for any serious photography a compact laptop is the way to go and most recent DSLRs take HD video. Also I'm not sure that Logitech's keyboard layout is a fault, it is just in the same format as a Mac keyboard layout.

The Logitech keyboard may be the same format as the Macs, but there's no getting around the fact that the Delete key is too small. It's the same size as the number buttons on the Logitech. On a Mac board, it's at least 1.5x wider than the number buttons.

I have the IPad2 with Kindle installed. Now all my travel guidebooks are on Kindle, along with subway maps of the destination and other travel related informaiton, including the DSLR camera;s manual when I travel.

I am a regular traveller and have a tablet (Eeepad tf prim) and for me, they are not worth the money.

I spend most of my time in hotels etc and all I really use mine for is watching films on either netlfix or of and SD card. I normally download the films or most of my colleagues have a nice collection.

For me, I still need to use my laptop to do most things. The key is, I CAN use the table to do things like write this comment, but even with the keyboard its just too clunky and troublesome.

Now, my colleagues, who are less `techy` than me and prefer the simpler approach, LOVE their tablets and the fact that they no longer need their laptops.

I think at the end of the day it is down to preference. I do like my tablet and it is great for watching media on, but I have to be honest I think they are all hugely over priced when you look at funcitonality vs cost.

Yes they are really cool and yes they are really shiny. And look my 2 year old can read books on it and blah blah blah. These are all just gimmicks and not worth the $300 - $700 price tag.

I am looking forward to the surface being released as for me this could potentially be as big a game changer as the iPad was. I am not an Apple fan but I do respect what they do and I am interested to see what they come up with to compete.

Part of me hopes they will release a new tablet or OS that is similar to their Mac OS (snow monkey or whatever) giving people more freedom to use the product.

Anyway I'm waffling now and going way off topic. Thanks

I have a powerful desktop at home, a less powerful desktop at the office and for all my traveling needs I have a Macbook Air 11". Frankly, I can't see myself replacing the Air with a tablet - what would I gain I've always wondered...?

I had about the same conclusion about my ipad. In my experience the only thing it can do better is play games and watch streaming services easier (as long as I have an internet connection because of the internet fees). Even then most laptops can play dvd's without an internet connection, while the ipad can't. I also like the games I can get on the laptop better (L4D2 for paid, emulators and mario games for free). The only thing that would make me take my ipad instead of my laptop is if I had no work to do, had an internet connection, and wouldn't be able to charge for a while.

Back