TechSpot

Trial Software Expiration?

By Davidlee48
Aug 23, 2008
  1. How, or should I say what would be the typical methods used to control when a trial software program runs out? I have a device driver, that is supposed to stop functioning after Monday, next week. The driver is in the Windows/ System32/Drivers folder, and there is an entry in the registry under HKLM/System/ Current Control Set/ Services/ XXXXX.
    Where does it read the time from, the actual BIOS, or system clock?
    I am questioning, because I have this installed on a computer at my house, and the system clock is currently set at Wednesday, and everything is still working.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

It's strange, but changing the Windows time will change the CMOS time too (I think this is a mistake though, basically gives access to CMOS settings from Windows)

Sometimes through Registry, sometimes through a file

3. kimboy

kimboy TS Rookie Posts: 39

Never heard of drivers expiring, why don't you partition your drive and install the driver there and keep formatting it everytime yuor trial software almost expires.

4. Davidlee48

Davidlee48 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I was told trial would stop working Monday. I have computer bios and system time (yes setting system time did change bios clock) up to Thursday and everything is still working, and I am wondering if I was told it expires, but it doesn't. It hasn't, so far.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

hum; not thrilled on the ethics of this :(

If you need it, pay the fee else uninstall it. Life can be simple if you let be :)

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

We actually had a thread on similar topic. I agree that if you are modifying things (date, registry, ect) to continue to use a trial that specifically states when it expires then you are basically pirating it, and we frown on that around here.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic11283.html

7. plaitne

plaitne TS Rookie

reverse enginering :) or freeze clock more legal :)

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

reverse engineering is not legal in many areas. Basically you are stealing intellectual property.
    I think it is time for this thread to be closed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.