Tried to Reload XP now get BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

amorphis

Hi all, I tried the search and browsing but found no answer so here goes.

My uncle gave me a Compaq SR2050NX that froze at the first screen. I tried a different SATA connection on the motherboard and everything worked fine for a couple of days. I then decided to reload the OS to get rid of anything of his (programs, files, etc.). I only got to where it should have started loading everythiong (using the recovery discs) and then got the BSOD.

So, I thought no problem, I wiped the hard drive and loaded Windows XP w/SP2. As soon as XP restarts after loading I get the BSOD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

error message

what is the error message?
What exactly is the problem that you are having. Here is a few examples (but not a full list)
Getting an error message but can use the system
Getting an error message and cannot use the system
System is freezing (cursor will move but have hour glass)
System is freezing (cursor will not move, can't access anything)
System hangs on turning the system on
System will not turn on (no picture on screen)
System gives no picture but the computer shows lights
When did the problem begin?
Have you tried rebooting the computer?
Was any hardware added to the system about the time the problem began?
Was there any software added to the system about the time the problem began?
Do you have anti-virus software installed?
Is the anti-virus up to date?
If you are getting an error message, what is the error message
When does the error message happen? (Indicate all that apply) Click here for explanation of boot process
On startup during POST (before going into Windows)
At the windows splash screen
After you get to the desktop where the start button is
Only after you try to open any programs
Only after opening specific programs. What programs are they?
Error message doesn't immediately appear, occurs at various times.

Sorry for extreme lack of information, I am obviously new to this.

Here is more info. The computer didn't work after a storm. It was on a surge protector. I searched around and found the tip to switch where the SATA drive was connected and it worked so I though that problem was solved. That is why I went ahead with the reformat.

I wiped the drive again last night and just now tried a recover from the Compaq (actually Geek Squad) CD's and here is what happened:

Got message, "No OS system installed or partition corrupeted".

Pressed "R". (The only option)

Computer goes through "Preparing Recovery Partition - Pleasw Wait". This takes about 3 minutes.

Then I get "Starting Recovery" and this takes about 5 seconds.

Then I get the Compaq screen for about 6 seconds.

Then the BSOD. No error message.

The pointer is in the center. It moves but is erratic.

On a restart from here I get the pink Compaq screen with the ESC, F1 and F10 options. Then the red Compaq screen. Then the BSOD.

Yesterday, when I tried Installing XP it took a lot longer to load the first set of files but after that everything is the same as I am describing above.

I hope this helps. The computer is a lot nicer than the one I am currently using.

Bsod

The information you supplied helps greatly. You mentioned that this happened after a storm. Do you know if the surge protector took a hit from the storm or it is just a coincidence?

A thing on surge protectors. People buy them and use them for years. They need to be replaced frequently. The cheaper the surge protector, the sooner it needs to be replaced. I am unable to give a time frame because it depends on how many times it has taken a surge. Every time they take a surge they get weaker and weaker. Eventually they will not protect the system from a surge and the system will get damaged from the storm. Also they do not protect the system from instant turn off. If you loose power, the system immediately turns off. That is why a UPS is needed. They cost a whole lot more but they are better at surge protection and they keep the system on for a period of time allowing you to shut the system off properly. Improper shutoffs harm a computer. By the way I am not criticising (excuse spelling) I am not using a UPS even though I know I should.

Here is a page on storms http://www.upgradenrepair.com/computerproblems/s/storm.htm

I am not saying it got damaged from storms but you mentioned storm.

It sounds like your system has been damaged though. Here is a page that has a utility to test the memory http://www.upgradenrepair.com/downloads/memdiags.htm

Run it and see if it detects an issue with your memory. Also look at the model of your hard drive, go to the manufacturer of the hard drive and download the hard drive diagnostics on the hard drive. Run it to see if it passes. If either fail, than you will need to replace the failed part. Note on the memory diagnostics. The memory might fail but it could be the motherboard that is bad but the memory is failing so the failure can be the memory or the motherboard. Without trying other memory, you cannot determine which one it is.

Troubleshooting can take time. Here is a page that will help you troubleshoot the system http://www.upgradenrepair.com/procedures/T/troubleshooters/troubleshootwindows.htm

Just to be clear, I did have it working after the storm (but that is probably contributing to this problem). I am going to do what you suggested and will post back. Thanks for the help.

' I wiped the hard drive and loaded Windows XP w/SP2.'

And you set the Bios to operate with the Sata drive properly?

CCT, I didn't find anything in the manual. There were instructions for a Full System Recovery but that was it, nothing about setting the bios. What I have really isn't a manual, more like a basic maintence and troubleshooting guide.

tim, I can't get to My Computer. It stops right after the Windows screen at start up.

But, I did find out there is a criticl update needed for XP SP2 to load on computers that have a Pentium D processor. I will post a link below. The site won't let me post a link with only four posts.

I am going to try what MS recommends in Method 2 in the Resolution section.and see what happens.

I finally got XP to install. I got lucky actually. What was happening was every time XP got to the point where it was supposed to restart I would get a blue screen. It wasn't a BSOD (I learned this over the last two days), it was just the light blue screen right before the Welcome screen. Anyway, After I ejected the CD after loading XP at the blue screen I hit the power button to turn off the computer. I didn't hold the button, I just made momentary contact. That is when the computer restarted, asked me to reinsert the CD and started loading the files. After two days of searching the Internet...:dead:...I have 29 bookmarks related to this and have deleted several already.

I do have one more question if anyone is still reading this thread. I was in the BIOS setting window and noticed that the settings for detecting "mass storage devices" seemed to be referred to IDE devices. I have an SATA hard drive. Is it possible for an SATA to be recognized as IDE?

Generally: Sata drives operate either as: IDE, AHCI or in Raid configuration.

If either of the last two, you need Sata drivers.

In any case, many Bios' have to be set to recognize Sata in the configuration you want and operating systems need the drivers loaded during install of the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back