TechSpot

Triple Grunt Noise from Hard Drive.

By Regulator
Dec 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My hard drive is a Western Digital 120 Gig drive and has been acting strangely. It is also encrypted with PGP 9. What I first noticed was a strange grunt noise coming from the case. Like a triple grunt and it seems to be random. I could not pin point the noise but I believe that this is the drive making it. When the noise is made the computer lags. However it especially lags if a file is used of that drive but only sometimes. But what is exceptionally strange the drive works fine and loads content fast when all of a sudden I hear noise. However it is not consistent since 80 percent of the time there is no lagging although it grunts. I have been running defrag on it without errors. I am currently running a western digital LifeGuard Extended Test with out errors so far. I have changed what I thought was old power cables to new ones and added a second power supply (don’t have enough splitters). So is the drive bad? Any ideas what can be happening inside the drive in such a case? Any advice would be helpful. :confused:

2. Regulator

Regulator TS Rookie Topic Starter

Also I do not know if it is relevant but I had a seagate hardrive fail a week ago 400gb and only a month old. I cannot run. Again don't know if it applies but my add/remove button disappered and programs started functioning strangely because of that. :mad:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.