Trojan Horse Downloader Purity Scan.BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I have recently downloaded the new AVG 8.0 virus scanner. Since doing so, I have had threats come up, which I have removed. The name of the threats (3 of them) are Tojan Horse Downloader Purity Scan.BA. It goes on to say that it's detected at start up.

I noticed that someone else in this form had a similar problem, but was using a different browser. (I am using IE 6.0 and have an XP operting system.) You had the person go into their registry to remove the threat.

I'm just wondering if I have to do the same thing to remove the Trojan. I did do a scan with Trend and my system came up clean, it's only AVG 8.0 that comes up with the threat.

Your help/advice is appreciated.

you can attach a hijackthis log -> purity is easy to spot because the file names look like this -> C:\system??\task??r

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.

Trojan Horse Downloader PurityScan.BA

Hi! Thanks. I've attached the log as requesed.

I should mention that I ran a scan in safe mode using AVG 8.0 last night and also turned my registry off and on. I read somewhere that that might get rid of the problem, but I'm not sure. My computer is still running slow even though I have high speed.

Thanks for your help.

Hijackthis log looks good, here are my recommendations:

You aren't running Firewall Software. Please download and install one of these first!

Use a Firewall - It is very important that you use a Firewall on your computer. If you use the Windows Firewall you might think that's enough but it only controls inbound traffic. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Here are some firewalls which are free for personal use and most commonly used:
Comodo (Vista Compatible)
Kerio
Online Armor
Zonealarm (Vista Compatible)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download and Run ATF Cleaner
Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it.

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

Firefox or Opera:
Click Firefox or Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a 2nd opinion from online scan and let me know the results
Trend Micro Housecall Free Online Scanner

• It`s one of the very few online scanners that will actually disinfect viruses etc.
  • First Open Internet Explorer
  • Go to Trend Micro's Housecall website which can be found HERE
  • Click on the link that says "Scan now. It's Free"
  • A new tab will open where you will have to tick a box to agree to the terms of service.
  • Click "Launch House Call"
  • Follow any additional on screen instructions
  • Select any infections then Fix Checked after the scan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Winpatrol to also control what programs start when you turn your computer on.
Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Trojan Horse Downloader

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

We run our computers through a router which has a firewall. I downloaded and was going to run the Comodo Firewall and a box came up saying I had to uninstall any firewalls I had. Is there a problem with me continuing to download the firewall even though the router has this feature? Also, how would I uninstall a firewall?

Thanks

The firewall built into your router is a hardware firewall. Comodo is a software firewall. No conflict there. You don't have an active software firewall so there is no need to uninstall anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back