Trojan Horse Generic6.UMU false positive with AVG. Now solved.

By raybay
Aug 22, 2007
  1. We are seeing a great number of our clients with a reported infestation of Trojan Horse Generic6.UMU.
    We believe this is a false positive, declared by AVG, and so far no other Antispyware or Antivirus detection software. Perfectly clean machines are reporting as many as six investations when their AVG runs automatically in the morning.
    Has anyone seen an infestion of this "Trojan" reported by any other infestation detection software?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Nice info raybay.

I have slightly altered your thread title and moved it to our Security and the Web forum.

I have also temporarily stickied the thread, until Grisoft sort this problem out. Hopefully, that won`t take too long.

Regards Howard :)
  3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Do you know what legitimate files were detected as malicious?
  4. howard_hopkinso

HERE is some useful info, if you suspect a false positive with AVG.

5. onepredator

onepredator TS Rookie

I'm new here. My AVG took 6 legitimate program files that came with my computer, declared them infected with generic6.umu and put them in the vault. Now I have to go rescue them, I'm hoping they'll be okay still. AVG is also continually considering cookies as viruses. Is it okay to just restore that stuff from the vault? I try and clear out cookies before scans to avoid having 71 "viruses."
  6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 7,241   +9

AVG has confirmed false positive, and corrected it. For generic6.umu, you will have no trouble restoring anything. Since many of our clients use AVG, we have been very busy verifying no permanent damage was done.
    The problem lasted for less than a day.
  7. howard_hopkinso

Cheers for the info raybay. I will leave this thread stickied for the next few days, after which I`ll unstick it.

8. onepredator

onepredator TS Rookie

wondrous. :)
  9. oldsalt19

oldsalt19 TS Rookie

Nope. As of 9/14/07, both the UMS and UMU variant were reported by AVG free in the scan for 9/16/07 in the backup copy of the setup code for the new vista driver for Nvidia graphic boards. I downloaded the driver from the Nvidia web site, so I doubt that it really has trojans.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.