TechSpot

Trouble assigning drive letter

By Lounge Fly
Sep 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This problem may not be as easy as it sounds:

I just reformatted my computer and reinstalled xp home, I was running xp pro before, but it was an illegal copy and wanted my original oem back.

I have 2 hard drives, one is my C: drive and the other is a storage disk. There is no OS on it and I do not intend to have an OS on it. It's just a storage drive. This drive was working properly before I formatted.

Now, when I go into Disk Management, I get Disk 0 being labeled as Basic and as my C: drive

Disk 1 however is labeled as Dynamic Foreign and I cannot select anything to the right of this box...the box that is supposed to tell me the drive letter and if it's healthy or not.

When I right click on it and asks if I want to convert it to a basic disk, but I will lose all data on it. I cannot lose the data that is on this disk. I cannot find a function to initialize this disk either, and assign a new drive letter is greyed out.

BIOS recognizes this disk, but I don't know what else I can do in BIOS.

All jumper settings and such should be good to go since it was working properly before the format and I didnt physically remove or alter the hard drive in anyway.

What can I do to make windows recognize this drive and retrieve all the information on it?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.