Trouble finding a Socket A (462) Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethbest

I've been having quite a hard time finding a Socket A cpu fan and heatsink anywhere except ebay, and then I can't find any that are of a reasonable dba number, if it is listed at all.

I am running a Athlon XP 3000+ as a server, working great so far, but my old fan buzzes super loud as a result of what I assume is misaligned bearings or something.

So before I close up the case on the new server and put it in the corner to run for eternity I need to find a semi quiet fan, but all the ones I can find are for new socket types, or are around 40 dba.

the GlacialTech Limba 2000 Heatsink-Fan, 20dBA, Socket 370 / 462 seems perfect except I doubt it would fit on my mobo, got things sticking up a half inch on each side from my current 3x3" fan.

Are there other socket type fans that are compatible with 462 that I should look at? Any suggested fans?

I'd be fine with anything 30~ dba or lower, would like something with some copper in it, and trying to stay under $20, but could go a bit over. Thx for any tips.
---
Note: currently with the buzzing fan the processor is running around 38C, and the hd's 36C, the OS is windows serv 2008 so the resting cpu and memory load is a bit high, but i think these temps are pretty good.

Hey Seth,
I happen to be the owner of one of them, if you cant find one I would be happy to ship it to you. you can pm me with your info if you want.

***just to clarify for the mods, you can have it, im not trying to sell it to you

2 of the fans on that page are out of stock with newegg, but the third one is in and it does fit what i was looking for, though a bit of overkill, thx for the link Cap'n.
I'll give red a pm and get some info from him, otherwise ill probly buy that one.

well while trying to fix the buzz i broke the 2 fan blades, so definately need a new one now, lol.
Another cool link, but most the ones on that page are sold out it says. I'm sure ill find something though, thx.

Thermaltake A4004 AMD Intel K7 Socket 462 Cpu Cooler
is my solutiong, 9.99 before shipping. 21 dba sounds pretty quiet, and says it works upto the athlon 3400+. The real selling point is that its a simple clip, the ones with the mobo screws seem unnecessary, since i've made a few of my pc's innoperable while reassembling, i do my best to move as little as possible when everythign is working.

Thx for the tips everyone, pointed me in the right direction, ill post back on how this unit performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back