Trouble installing windows xp

By bnk26
May 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to fix my sons pc, several years ago he had a problem with his hard drive and bought a new one. I decided to attempt to get his old hard drive working and having some problems. The pc has a soyo kt600 motherboard. I can boot up no problem with his harddrive, the original harddrive is a sata hd and when I boot up with his ide drive the sata is recognized, I reformatted the sata drive and now with an old copy of windows xp, when I try to install it does not see a drive to install it on, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to get the xp cd to recognize this hard drive so I can install windows xp on it, is it a bios setting?
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Is the Sata hd first bootable in the BIOS?
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,291   +41

Many motherboards require a specific sata or raid driver before they can use a sata drive at all. This is done by loading the driver to a floppy disk or other readable media, then right at the beginning of the windows install, you press F6 to load the drivers. The following link (for a specific motherboard - find your own driver) shows the very screen you are probably seeing.

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdef...ry-920/noblendout-1/tabid-388/633_read-11127/

here is the link to your motherboard manual, which includes instructions for installing the sata drivers for WinXP from the CD supplied with the motherboard....which .. y o u ..... h a v e ???

http://www.soyo.com.tw/dl/manuals/k7/mk7vx6_p10.pdf
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.