Trouble installing XP on SATA II Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I bet you've heard this question a million times but can any one help me install windows xp onto my new sata II hard drive?

I have decided to update my pc and i have put a sata drive in. Never used one before. On installing xp i get the bsod. I have been researching into this and found that i am missing some drivers as old copies of xp don't register sata drives. My motherboard detects the hard drive and so thats all cool. The problem is i don't know where to get a driver for it from? I've looked every where.
Here are my specs:

ASUS P5KPL-AM Motherboard
250GB Maxtor SATA II Hard Drive

I know that the pc is ok as I tried the old ide hard drive and everything was fine. I have also looked on the motherboard software disc and asus website for a driver for this but they don't have one or any makedisk.exe file!

Your motherboard may need a bios update in order to fully use SATA drives. You should only be using an XP Pro, SP2 install CD now. There are jumper pins on SATA drives that can be used to slow down data rates for compatibility on older motherboards

Would you be willing to set the BIOS to run the drive as IDE. This is a setting available in many BIOS, called by a couple of different names. See the mobo instructions.

This is a fast, cheap, dirty way of getting the drive up and running. Plus, you'll likely not notice the difference from running it in SATA anyway.

If this HDD mode is available on your board, consider giving it a shot.

That's right captaincranky,
my computer's bios is set SATA controller to IDE and I have 4 SATA devices. 2 hard drives and 2 CD/DVD burners

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I have updated the bios and that has made no differenece and also I do not have the feature to turn the sata to an IDE in my bios. Should I just give up and buy a new version of XP. Mine is a 2005 edition?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back. how would i go about slipstreamimg the sata drive to xp.Yes I have got another pc i can use.

Copy the XP disc and the SATA driver to hdd somewhere, install nLite, select tasks "Integrate drivers" and "Create bootable ISO". Select the driver to integrate, make a bootable ISO and burn (or just burn directly) to a blank CD.

Make sure the driver you're selecting is textmode and the correct one for your mainboard - your chipset seems to be Intel® G31 with Intel ICH7.

If you don't have the SATA driver then download it from manufacturer's site.

i have a problem im wondering if any one can give me some helpfull advise about. when i start up my computer (I have a xps 400 desktop) it begins normally with the windows logo but then after a few moments it goes to the dreaded blue screen and then displays this message:

checking file system drive C:
the type of the file system is ntsf
the volume is dirty
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)
42 percent complete

thats as far as it gets. i can leave it thinking for up to 3 days (thats as long as i have waited, but seems like it would be enough time) and it never goes beyond 42 percent...any ideas?

It sounds like the hard drive is, or is going bad. If the machine will go into safe mode ( keep pressing F8 at startup until you get an option screen, select "safe Mode" using the arrow keys). Then hit "start> run > and type in "chkdsk" (without the quote). If this is a no go, you may have to install a new drive, and put Windows it, using your restore disc. You can then >maybe< get your files off the drive.

This unless somebody has a better idea.

BTW, waiting for three days imparts a whole new scope to the term "waiting in vain".

thank you for the quick reply

i have tried to go into safe mode. i can get to the option screen where safe mode is and navigater through it, but when i try to go into safe mode it brings up the same error. i can go into some other functions and navigate them, but only simple text files. system settings and things like that. i took the machine apart and cleaned it the best i could, but this did not seem to help. how do i install a new driver without losing my saved files and programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back