Trouble loading XP on a dual boot system with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP9340 Media Center/vista. I am trying to create a double boot system with Win XP Pro. I have been unable to load XP. It always stops at the point after files are loaded, just before you make selection as to which drive/partition the system will be loaded.

I have removed all drives from the machine, with the exception of the drive that I will use for the xp system. I have tried a drive already formatted to NTFS, as well as the drive having no format at all. Still no luck. I have tried a second XP system install disk, and same results.

Prior to all these install attempts, I wanted to see
that the dual system would work. I created a second version of vista, via an older image file.

This dual boot technique worked fine, utilizing
two separate physical drives.

Any suggestions as to what is happening here, realizing that when I attempt the XP load, vista and other data drives are out of the machine.

I have ran chkdsk on the installed drive. I also have substituted another drive for the Xp and got the same results .

This should be simple. This is not the first time
for me to load and set up a system by any means. Thanks for any input.

You installed XP after installing Vista?

If I remember correctly (unless they changed it or something), vista's bootloader is significantly different than XP's. I know this isn't a nice solution, but installing XP FIRST would be better , and then letting Vista replace the bootloader with it's own.

Or I suppose you could install GRUB or LILO or something?

I understand what you are saying, but my vista OS is on a drive which is out of the machine and laying on a table, not close enough to have any effect on the machine. Only a totally blank drive is in the machine to load xp on.

I am not really too sharp on some of this stuff, but about the vista bootloader; is it on the vista drive, or on the machine like the BIOS

Thanks

My take is you need to install XP compatible SATA/RAID controller drivers at the beginning of Windows Setup. Ordinarily you press F6 to install third party drivers. You'll need a floppy drive for this part. If no floppy, then you can make a slipstream CD and install your SATA drivers that way. Go to HP's website for XP SATA drivers as well as the rest of the motherboard drivers you'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back