Trouble opening game

Status
Not open for further replies.

tielfeathers

I have a game downloaded from Big Fish Games, which I've been playing for the past year. However, now when I try to open the game, I get this error code:

"Executable path is not writable. If you launched the application directly from the CD, please run the installer to install the application".

The game is called Ricochet Recharged, one of my favorite games. I contacted Big Fish and they told me I might need new drivers. Here's the information that got from my error report:

Hi Linda,

Thank you for providing the report! After analyzing the report, I saw that the video driver was last updated on 7/3/2008.

An outdated video driver may be the cause of trouble you've encountered. To resolve this, I would recommend visiting the computer's manufacturer website below to get the most recent update by contacting their technical customer support.

To make the process of locating your driver update easier, I’ve listed the details of your system and video card below:

System Model (product): Inspiron 531s
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Driver- Graphics/Video: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

Afterwards, uninstall and reinstall the game, restart your computer to initialize any updates, and then create a new profile to start a new game. I've provided a link below with detailed instructions on how to uninstall/reinstall a game.

If you're still having problems with the game after doing these updates, please let me know.

I have installed and uninstalled this game so many times, but keep getting the error message. Can anyone help me on this? Is there another driver I should be installing? Any help would be appreciated.

Linda

if the game has worked for a year without any problems before i want to say that it's not video driver related. however, games are updated from time to time which can yield compatibility issues. i would still think that the drivers are fine though. the actual error message itself states that the path in which the game's files are stored is not accessible, meaning the computer can't run it. since you're on Vista, I would try disabling UAC and then see what happens when you go to run the game. you may need to modify the application's security permissions or run it under another account.

UAC stands for "User Account Control" which is a security feature built into the Vista OS. It controls which users can access files, folders and many other things. You should be able to access the settings through the Control Panel. You will need to restart the computer once it has been disabled.

This is strange - I created a new user account and the game comes up, but not on the level I was playing. So does this mean there's something that needs to be fixed in my account?

I tried the link to shut off UAC and it worked!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, even the game company didn't know how to help me!! You are my hero - Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back