Trouble removing virus/malware

By Markj88
Mar 15, 2008
  1. I recently purchased a new computer and soon after started having problems, after solving various hardware/software problems i rebooted to find three icons on my desktop that read (Spyware removal tool - Malware removal tool - and - Virus removal tool ) - also there is a flashing icon in the tray at the bottom right - i also get constant popups saying spyware alert detected on yoiur machine - also various fake windows security boxes i have tried to remove using AVG and windows defender also manually, I would be greatful for any input.

2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

Hi Markj88,

Please have a read here-> Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

If you decide to clean your system please follow these Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and post back in this thread with the requested logs. There should be at least 3. Make sure in step 10, Tool 1, you run option 2

1)AVG log
    2)Combofix log
    3)Hijackthis log (Step 15)

This thread is for the use of Markj88 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
  3. Markj88

Markj88 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

I have formatted

the problem seems to have been solved
    thanks for your input!!

any reccomendations as to what antivirus programmes to run?
  4. kritius

kritius TS Guru Posts: 2,084

Post the logs back and we'll see whether everything has gone. Some infections can be very tricky to get rid of.
  5. Markj88

Markj88 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

New windows installation !! everythin running well!

6. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

Good to here. For future reference.

You should run 1 Anti-Virus program and keep it updated.

You should run a firewall (not windows firewall)
    commonly used:
    Online Armor

And a combination of anti-spyware (ie spybot S&D and adaware 2007)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.