Trouble setting up Acer Aspire X1200 Vista OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mae

The Acer Aspire X1200 does not come with good instructions. I cannot seem to hook-up my external speakers that came with the computer correctly. I have tried several ports (or whatever you call the places on CPU that you connect devices to) but I still cannot get any sound to come out.

Also...I'm not sure what is going on with my McAfee software that came with computer. I think I hit the update button and now I see "McAfee VirusScan 29% complete." I tried to cancel that but I cannot and it is apparently trying to download very slowly because I have Peoplepc dial-up Internet connection.

Is there a conflict between Peoplepc's security system and McAfee??? (Actually, I think Peoplepc also uses McAfee. Does that mean my computer is trying to do the same security task twice?)

Any pointers would be helpful. I haven't worked on a new computer since I used my Gateway with Millennium and that OS seemed to make more sense in some ways. This Vista is not very user friendly, but I think I can get used to it. I just bought the Acer because it was inexpensive.

Thank you!

Well first of all since this is new and under warrenty tech support should be free from Acer's end. I'd contact them about your speaker hookup.

As for McAfee there are much better options than that brand.

Question: How much memory (RAM) does your system have?

As for McAfee and Peoplepc check this link out and I would say, yes, ther are known conflicts. Also, keep in mind dial can be slow anyway.

Link: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=192411

Thanks Route 44

Thanks Route44-

The updates apparently were successfully downloaded and I was alerted to delete some software which was the Peoplepc toolbar. I did and things seem okay so far.

McAfee is the security system provided with Peoplepc. I had Norton before on another computer and was not very satisfied with that.

Now, my computer came with McAfee - so I'll call Acer or Peoplepc to see if there is a conflict to what seems to be having the security system "twice."

Thanks for the links - I will read them.

Audio Problem Resolved

I found the off/on switch directly on the speakers. This was not in instructions. I had to get out a flashlight to see this - very camouflaged.

I guess I'm through with this thread until I have more questions. There is so much to learn when beginning to use Vista.

So...what do I do to close this thread? I'm still new at making posts.

Thanks in advance for your response.

You don't have to do anything to close out a thread. :) But one thing we are thankful for and is very beneficial is that you came back and told us how your issues have been resolved. This will help other people in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back