Trouble updating to Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi there!
I am trying to update to Vista but having issues.
When the PC restarts for the first time it reaches the loading frame and then goes into the mad loop of rebooting. I got it once to get into the setup, but it crashed again after a few seconds and started the loop again. I have disconnected everything from the computer (except mouse, keyboard and monitor) but it still does the same thing.
I also thought of doing a clean install, but I have so many programs installed that it would take me a long time to reinstall them and set them up again to the way i like.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.
Regards.

I was finally able to upgrade. To do so however I had to remove my 2Gig stick of memory and replace it with two 512MB sticks. I installed Vista and then added the 2Gig stick to the other two. The system seems to run just fine. However there are some strange things. It's a 32 bit OS, but it created a pagefile that is more than 3Gig. Add that to 3Gig of physical memory and it does not make sense. I thought that 32 bit can only recognize 4 Gig max. It seems however that it added 1300MB of that memory to my Video card. This is truly a messed up OS.

I think you must share part of the problem. You tried to "upgrade" to Vista on a system using Windows XP. Compatibility and drivers are a great issue, along with amount of RAM.

Chances are the system was not appropriate for the upgrade.

I finally figured out that the RAM I was using is not compatible with the board. Had to return it. But not before I totally scrapped everything and reinstalled XP. I use my PC for work and it is important to have it running most of the time. I still want to install Vista though. Gonna have to do it sooner or later anyway. I'd rather start now.

If you're upgrading from within XP, a clean install is best. I tried upgrading straight from XP, even after uninstalling graphic/mobo drivers it still blue screened and kept restarting because of some other drivers I had forgotten about.

And it only counts for physical memory on the graphic card and RAM for the whole "32bit can't recognise more than 4GB" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back