TechSpot

Trouble Using VGA-to-RCA on Old CRT TV set

By thebaronjocelin
Mar 19, 2009
  1. Hi. I recently bought a VGA-to-composite adapter for my Dell M1530 laptop so I could connect it to an old RCA-made tube TV that I just bought at a steal from a friend. All I was looking to do was have an HTPC so I could watch some DVDs, maybe play a little (crackly, low-quality) music.

I plugged in the RCA adapter and all the composite cables to both the TV and laptop, but there was no result, even when I pressed Fn+F8 (Dell's "CRT/LCD" switch). I went into the nVidia Control Panel (the machine runs on an 8600M) and set it up for multiple displays using Dualview, even making the primary monitor the old TV. I set the resolution of the TV-Out to 640x480 (the closest a computer can come to NTSC, I think) and the refresh rate to 60Hz.

Still, the only effect it had was to produce a little crackly noise and a slight flicker on the TV, but it went right back to a black screen.

Any ideas?

2. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 196

Bump. Nobody?

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Update graphics drivers and try again. Sounds like you were doing the right things, it should work.

4. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 196

Thanks, will try.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.