Trouble with BSOD and Intel Wireless LAN Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble with BSOD and internet connection in XP

I've been having this problem for about a week now and maybe one of you can help me before I throw my laptop out the window.

I have a Gateway 450SX4 Laptop running XP Pro SP2 on a 2.00 GHz Pentium 4, 256 MB, and a 30 GB HDD. I bought the system about two and a half years ago, and I have never had any problems that I could not fix with my limited knowledge until now.

I have always connected to the internet using an Intel(R) PRO 2011B Wireless LAN PCI card, and for over two years I operated without a problem. However, I have recently been experiencing system crashes, restarts, and the dreaded BSOD (either ‘BAD POOL CALLER’ or ‘IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL’). These problems usually occur between 5 and 30 minutes after connecting to the internet. I believe that the problems started when I downloaded an MP3 that turned out to not really be an MP3 (smart, huh?). I am fairly sure that this is not a hardware issue, since nothing on my system has changed and I did download that dubious file, but Symantec AntiVirus has not found anything in the last five scans. Preceding each BSOD is usually a series of pop-up's (never a problem before), so I have also removed everything that Lavasoft Adware SE has found every day for the last two weeks, but the problems persist.

The first thing I did after the scans was get every update Microsoft and Gateway could throw at me. I have the most recent drivers, BIOS, and security patches. I tried reinstalling the old drivers, but that did not help either. MemTest and dskchk found no errors with my memory. I moved my single stick to the other slot just for fun, and naturally, that did nothing. I have not been able to find anyone with my exact problem on any threads, but most people with similar problems try to reformat and reinstall XP. It usually does not work for them, and I would really like to avoid doing that.

There seems to be absolutely no problems when I take the wireless card out the PCI slot (except that I have no internet!). If I keep the processor running at 100 percent capacity all the time by running a computationally intensive program, I can stave off the crashes and restarts for up to four hours, maybe more, but as soon as the system becomes idle, a BSOD can come at any moment. When I reboot in Safe Mode, I can use my wireless card all I want without a single BSOD, and the pop-ups are gone too. This one really has me stumped. A virus is the only thing that I can think of which would explain all of these symptoms. My copy of Symantec is up to date, but is it generally considered reliable? It has caught a lot of stuff for me in the past, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm.. 2 dumps point towards dne2000.sys... might be some kinda spyware thingy. Check the link out for more info.
http://www.file.net/process/dne2000.sys.html
or http://www.anti-spy.info/process/dne2000.sys.html

Try using other anti-spyware software such as spywaredoctor and check the task manager for suspicious programs which are running. Some kinda software problem i think.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.

BAD_POOL_CALLER (c2)
The current thread is making a bad pool request. Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same allocation, etc.

Hmm, the others are about driver faults... Maybe it's clashing with the drivers?
Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.. :rolleyes:

Hi, had a similar problem with verizon 595 air card.
Got BSOD "page not found" screen when on BATTERY POWER.
Found that even though my battery showed fully charged (4 year old Battery)
it was not putting out enough amps to properly power the card.
Ran OK on AC power.
Hope this may help

tylervance1@yah said:
Hi, had a similar problem with verizon 595 air card.
Got BSOD "page not found" screen when on BATTERY POWER.
Found that even though my battery showed fully charged (4 year old Battery)
it was not putting out enough amps to properly power the card.
Ran OK on AC power.
Hope this may help
It is VERY foolish to post your email address in a public forum. You must enjoy spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back