Trouble with load speeds

James G

I was directed to post here after posting in the Virus and Malware removal section. I had posted in there about a week and a half ago for the same problem which was fixed. After a week I figured I was infected again as the same problem came back in spite of my efforts to not get infected. My system seems to run fine, but I had noticed that copying files onto a hard drive via a hard drive dock station seemed to absolutely stop.Loading seemed very sporadic and came to a halt several times while I was copying files. This is the only thing seemingly out of the ordinary and I'm willing to pass it by unless it is a tell tale sign of something very wrong. I have been told my computer is clean but I am still having very slow internet speed that is stated to be running at 54 mbps. This morning I had to spend 3 or 4 hours attempting to download a malware program for the malware forum to run a report. Fortunately I was able to stop and start the download to get it to inch to where it needed to be in a reasonable time frame of a download having tried at least 100 times to download combofix. So what I'm looking for is a way to regain my internet capabilities. for all I know there is something terribly wrong with the internet access at my house as I haven't had a chance to connect elsewhere. Any thoughts are appreciated. Furthermore I have not downloaded many programs to my computer and there is no slowness to be reported other than what is stated above. My internet was running at 11 mbps download speed in online speed test and it is down to 1mbps at best. I'd like to get back there.

Download Speed: 3294 kbps (411.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6897 kbps (862.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Access is denied when I try that with command prompt.

Internet access is much better but only half as good as it was and I'm not sure if it will stay like this if my computer stays on for the next hour.

Download Speed: 713 kbps (89.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6198 kbps (774.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I still have a whole host of problems that I'm unsure how to resolve. Sometimes when starting up the computer, the task bar isn't accessible because cursor turns to an hourglass over it. When this is happening right clicking won't bring up anything on the desktop. So I'm guessing that explorer is running slower for some reason or performance is being slowly chipped away at as this started happening yesterday. If I don't get anything resolved here I am just going to assume that I'm still infected and start another malware thread.

There is a slight possibility that the problem is your broadband connection (or your modem). Your ISP should have a procedure for reporting problems that you could start. You can at the least rule out that possibility. The betting is, obviously, that you are still infected.

Log into an ADMIN account and get a command prompt. Get your install CD (in case it asks for it) and
enter SFC /SCANNNOW

I'm not sure if I have an install CD . Do you mean a windows install cd or a recovery cd? I have 2 CD's from the PC manufacturer that came with it, but I don't remember what they are. I will try that when I get home to it.

As for my ISP I have contacted them before and my experience is that they are only occasionally helpful. I have been living in the house for 2 years, but it's a house that I lived in when I was young; we rented it out; we moved back in, and when we moved back in we had to start an account with the ISP. I had a hardline to my modem upstairs and did not realize when I was putting in wireless that the phone modem was also an internet modem so for a long time I was running a separate modem to my router. I don't think that should matter at all, but I don't know enough to know. Other than that someone once mentioned that the line the ISP is using to get to the house should be different so occasionally we get a weak signal but nothing that makes me think the internet or TV or phone service are on the fritz.I'm still mainly concerned that it's my computer. If it's the internet service I'd personally rather deal with that after I can be sure my computer is okay.

Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate it.

Scan done.

Windows Resource Program did not find any integrity violations.

My internet seems to be running unusually well for the time being.

Download Speed: 10495 kbps (1311.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 7680 kbps (960 KB/sec transfer rate)

Back