Trouble with SATA controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a compaq presario 6400nx and i wanted to add a western digital 500gb sata hard drive so i got a pci to sata controller card. when i put the card in it went through and installed all the drives but i don't see my drive anywhere. i can feel it spinning so it is powered up. i am running xp with sp3. any ideas on something else i need to change or why it is not working??

also i am only using this drive for storage. i have a ide drive that i have windows on. also my computer does not have andy sata ports that is why i had to get the card

It's not clear to me if you installed the driver for the PCI controller card.

yes i did install it. i checked it in device manager and it says everything is fine. sorry if im not to clear on things. i know some about computers but not it all. i have been reading around and it sounds like i have to change some settings but not sure what.

Different computer... same exact situation

While I'm using an older Dell Precision 650, I'm striving to add an SATA drive - as a storage only HDD - via a I/O Crest PCI Serial ATA and Ultra ATA controller card. Just as you've experienced, the PCI controller cards drivers installed fine, Device Manager sees the PCI card as a SCSI and RAID controller, and the Device status indicates it is working properly. The new SATA HDD powers up but I can't see any sign of the drive.

I've gone into the System Bios to see if could turn on an additional Primary or Secondary drive but don't see anything that appears logical or reflective of the HDD or the added PCI controller card.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Are the hard drives new? If the hard drives are new, they must be formatted before they can be used. If they are seen in the BIOS but not in Windows, go to Disk Management to format them. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc and select Disk Management at the left.

PCI Serial ATA controller

You bet...The manufacturer is I/O Crest, P/N: SY-VIA6421-3S1P. It has 2 x SATA channels and 1 parallel ATA channel.

- It indicates it complies with SATA specs revision 1.0
- Supports internal PHY with PHY supporting up to two SATA devices (whatever that means)
- Dual channel master mode PCI supporting up to 2 SATA devices

Once you turn on your PC and the option to enter the system bios is displayed .. if you press Tab Key are you presented with User window giving you option to set RAID as well as let you see whether it has detected the HDD ?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. When I start the PC I am always given the "reminder" capability to press F2 (Setup) or F12 (Boot Menu). I have gone into Setup previously where I turned the Primary 1 to Auto from OFF. The next time I went in it showed Primary 1 as and IDE CD-ROM which is what I have connected to the second connector of the boot HDD cable.

I've now turned the Primary 1 back to OFF. When I started the PC again the New Hardware Found message came up so I entered the Wizard and attempted to reinstall the PCA card's included mini driver CD. The did not complete this time, unlike when I originally booted the PC following the PCI card and HDD. It did complete then. NOTE: now the Device Manager displays a new "? Other devices" and sublisting of "? SCSI Controller in yellow question marks. However the former "SCSI and RAID controller" listing is still present and lists "VIA VT6421 RAID controller" as the sublisting, still indicating working properly.

Within the Setup/System Bios the only selection I find that indicates PCI is under the listing "PCI IRQ Assignments." Within this menu I see the listings of ATI Technologies VGA Adapter (IRQ 11), Numerous Intel Corp listings (Serial Bus-IRQ 11, multimedia-IRQ 11, and a number of USB adapters-IRQ's 9, 10, and 11, Network card-IRQ 11), and "unknown manufacturer RAID Adapter-IRQ 10." I have also tried IRQ 9 and 11 also which made no difference.

After reading your message I returned the Primary 1 setup to OFF from the Auto setting I had changed it to when the new HDD didn't work originally. When I turned it OFF, it was displaying "IDE CD-ROM," which is what I have connected to the 2nd connector on the cable with my primary HDD boot drive. But the 2nd CD-ROM drive was working before I changed the Primary 1 setting to Auto and is still working after turning off.

When I turned the Primary 1 to OFF, the next start did indicated New Hardware Found, again. So, I attempted to reinstall the PCI card's included mini CD drivers again. This time, however, it didn't complete as it had following the card's original install and boot up. The driver wizard, despite opening and scanning through all the files on the mini driver CD, repeatedly indicated "cannot find the necessary software." And, as mentioned above, the Device Manager now shows two SCSI listings.

Last, while none of this may be helping or of any benefit to diagnosing my issue, after turning the Primary 1 setting back to OFF, when I started the PC again, I did see new LSI Logic information on the initial black boot screens that initially indicated "Found new hardware" but eventually indicated "No supported devices found," and the startup then proceeded to the Windows menus. The IDE CD-ROM that is connected to the 2nd connector on the primary HDD cable is made by LG and I think it may be what caused the LSI Logic message.

Still at a loss, any ideas?

the card i have is a via vt6421a. i have also gone into bios and it doesn't see a second hard drive. i used to have a second hard drive on the secondary ide port and it worked fine but it crashed and decided to get a sata drive for future if i get a new computer. also in biosi don't see anything about changing a setting to raid or anything like that. there aren't many options in there

Well I was going through some via documents about their PCI SATA Controllers and it stated that you can press Tab immediately once you have seen the 'Press x to Enter Bios" disappear, you will be able to see the PCI Controller setup or something like that. Anyway; I've am still trying to find something which help you fix it; I will get back to you ASAP.

my card does not look like that yet it is the same part number. mine has one internal and one external sata port and one internal ide port. there are no jumpers on it. i will try and take a pic of it and post it. i think i am about ready to give up on it and get a different one for a more reliable store.

I'm pretty much unsure what may be the problem; however can you uninstall the drivers of this card & delete any entry pointing to this card in device manager; shut the computer down; then restart and reinstall drivers (preferably newer ones from via site) Do not attach HDD with card during this whole process. Once the drivers has been installed, reboot/shutdown and then attach HDD and restart.

ok i will try that. i think i may have had the hdd pluged in when i first installed it so that could be the problem. thank you very much for your time and trying to help with this problem

allright i don't know how i didn't see it before but there are two internal sata ports not just one. i deleted the card and all that out of device manager and restarted. reinstalled the card and restarted. the i turned off the computer hooked up the card and id didn't see it in my computer but it did in computer management and is now formating the disk. i used the port that is next to the ide port which is closest to the front of the computer which is not the one i used before. so im not sure if it is the port that i used or the way i installed it. but it is working now. thank you so much

i tried the hdd in the other port and it did not see it anywhere. so i put it back in the other port on the inside and it is working great now

allriight new problem. the new drive is working but when ii am transfering stuff my computer is acting up. it will work fine for like 5 seconds and then totaly freeeze up for like 3 seconds. and then work, then freeze, over and over, and when it freezes the cpu usage goes to like 96% then back to like 5%. is this just how it is going to be? like my computer can't handle this drive? or is there something i can change to stop it from doing that? it also does it when i am trying to watch a video that is on that hdd or when i added all my stuff to itunes. and it runs kinda slow all the time now too. what i have is a amd athlon 1800 1.53ghz with and 1024 of ram (2-512 cards). the hard drive is a western digital caviar green 500gb. can be see here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136358 i have the jumber on pins 5 and 6 for the 1.5gb phy. wondering if there is anythign i can do or if that is how it is going to be. if that is the case i will probably get a ide hdd and use this one for another back up of my stuff. i never had a problem before when i had a secoind hdd one the ide port. any help is greatly appreciated

also i have everything backed up on another computer that is networked. when i watch the same video through the network it works fine. is it possible that the card i have just sucks. if so any sugestions on what one to get?

That can be true, i've talked around abit about via's sata controllers and they don't have good repute here due to performance/compatibility issues.

Personally I do not like to take the route of adding additional controller just to run SATA on old computers; i need additional storage for an old machine which didn't had SATA ports; i just went and bought a WD Passport drive and it works wonderfully/plays video just as good.

Also if you can find new drivers on their site, try using them i think current version is something like 2.8 or above. I posted the link in one of my previous posts.

Also i think the WD 500GB Caviar Green may not be an issue here as I have this same HDD in one of my computers operating perfectly alright. However to make it sure, if you can arrange check it by connecting it to a onboard sata connector of supportive baord (may be with a friend perhaps?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back