trouble with "save as..." for .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is strange....
In IE 6 when I right-click on a .jpg to save it, and the "save as" box comes up, I can't see ANY previously saved file names (.jpg only) in the "save as" window. It looks like I am saving a file into a brand-new folder, with nothing yet in it. The file still gets saved, but I can only see the saved file names by directly opening the folder in which they were saved. This only happens on .jpg's and is not a problem with other browsers. Just started happening 2 weeks ago. Any ideas what may be causing this?

I've seen such problems occur with IE, I often used to get a problem where for any image I would try to save, IE offered me to save it in BMP only.

Have you tried clearing your Temporary Internet Files ? More often then not, that solves those kinds of problems.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

When you clck 'Save as' look near the bottom of the new window for Save as file type .If it shows only .jpg then windows is simply defaulting to show only the files .jpg
You can bring down the menu of that same list and ckick on 'all file types' if you want to see the other files in that folder.
Or you go directly through explorer to confirm the files in the folder you are concerned with.
There is a control for this behaviour (which is by design) and I think it is in Folder options but I am not sure.

I've tried that...actually, I empty it every day. IE 6 is allowing me to save the image as a .jpg, I just can't see previously saved .jpg's in the "save picture" window when I right-click on an image. This is only happening with IE, and not other browsers. My hair is starting to fall out, I'd better get a broom.

Could it be that IE is sorting on *.jpg when your files are saved with the .jpeg extension ? :confused:

Ahhhh.....I found that if I type the ".jpg" extension behind the file name before I save it (even though it IS offered in the "file type" menu, then all is well. Still, I wonder why I would have to type it in manually...it used to do it automatically!

In Windows Explorer go to Tools->Folder Options->File Types and see if jpg and jpeg are defined exactly the same (most likely they are).

Cool beans...I figured out that the files were being saved as a ".jpe". Did a few searches and found the fix here: http://www.dansdata.com/io021.htm (2nd article down).

I had to change the extension back to .jpg in the registry, now everything is beautiful once more. Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back