Trouble with Windows Installer 4.5 & Seagate Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

stellaj76

Hi,

I recently got a 500GB Seagate external USB hard drive. I've been experiencing Blue Screens for a while now (after the drive was added) and I am currently troubleshooting in the BSOD forum here on techspot. One avenue we tried was to uninstall the Seagate Manager software because it seemed it could be linked to my problem. I am not able to boot normally...as soon as my desktop appears, I get a BSOD with "page fault in non paged area." I have been going into safe mode for my troubleshooting. I used the Seagate chat today because I was not able to uninstall the Seagate software on my computer...apparently it's because it can't be done in safe mode, from what I was told by the chat tech. I was instructed to download Windows Installer 4.5. Since I have done that, I am getting a different error message (Error 1719: Windows installer service could not be accessed...etc) from the add/remove programs because I don't think that the 4.5 installed correctly in safe mode.

Does anyone know how I can get my windows installer back to normal, or updated to 4.5 while in safe mode since I can't boot normally right now?

Thanks,
Joe

You could try using System Restore to bring your PC back to a point before you installed Windows Installer 4.5.

Hi...I've been busy lately, but I am still really stuck with my problem. I still can only get into the computer with safe mode. I would still like to try to uninstall the seagate software to see if that helps, but I can't run the uninstaller at all. Any suggestions?

You could try removing the seagate manager files from the drive in safe mode. DO NOT DELETE THEM !!!! Just move them over to a different location and then unplug the Seagate drive and try rebooting. 'Page Fault in Non-Page Area' is really a problem with virtual or Physical memory. Check if your paging file has been written on the external HDD and if it is then move it to the Internal HD.
You can do this by going Right Clicking on My Computer --- Properties ---- Advanced Tab --- the first settings button -- Advanced Tab -- Change . Change the Paging to system managed paging file size.

I moved the Seagate files to a different folder. I also followed the instructions to set the paging to system managed. I am still getting the same BSOD at the same point of startup. I put new RAM in my machine since I've had this problem. I was troubleshooting in the BSOD forum and we found that my RAM had many errors, so I bought and installed new RAM hoping it would fix the problem. Since putting in the new RAM, I have not had any problems with Safe Mode (I sometimes did before), but I still can't get in at all the normal way. As soon as the desktop appears, the screen (and the music) freezes & then it goes to the BSOD Page Fault in Non Paged Area.

Any other suggestions?

If you are getting the BSOD only in the normal mode.. that could mean that there is a startup program in the Normal Mode that could be causing the problem. If you are using XP then , you could try MSCONFIG from start -- run. Select the 'Selective Startup' option on the general tab and then uncheck everything on the startup tab. However this would also disable your security software and needless to say , you would have to do this on safe mode.You could also check the 'Hide all microsoft services ' option on the services tab and then disable any seagate related services from running .

No luck. I tried both suggestions. The only differences I noticed were: 1) the taskbar finishes loading its icons before the blue screen crash and 2) no startup music plays now. Does the "Hide all microsoft services" only work once & then go back to default?...I went back into MSCONFIG in safe mode after I checked it and it was unchecked again.

thanks for the help

Thanks for trying to help. I just finally gave up and wiped the hard drive clean. I backed up my files on the external and am now reinstalling like it's a new computer. Everything seems fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back