Trouble With Wireless Connection on My Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please bear with me while I explain this story as it has multiple components, any of which may be causing this problem.

I recently moved into a new apartment and I've tried connecting to the wireless internet with no luck. Or it will let me connect, and appear to be working, but when I open a browser (either IE or Firefox) it looses the connection. I've taken the next logical steps but when I try to repair the connection it tells me that it cannot repair the connection because it cannot renew the IP address.

After searching online I've found all kinds of suggestions on what to do:

run/cmd/ipconfig/release, renew, etc.
download and run Winsock repair
make sure the wireless raido is on (it is)

Still nothing. My roommate has no issue, so I'm certain the problem isn't with the router. I'm also not able to connect directly via an ethernet cable (the modem/router is located in the landlord's apartment, downstairs).

For the past three years I've connected primarily through a broadband card because I travel a lot and it's just as easy to use it from home as anything else. However, this apartment must have walls of lead because I get terrible connection with the card and the cell phone. I'm not having any problems connecting with the broadband card so I feel like the issue must be with my wireless connection in the computer.

I'm at my wits end and don't know what else to do. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back