Troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonea

So, I have searched through the boards and I do find a lot of posts regaurding this question, but not exactly what I need.

So here is my situation:
My friends hard drive crashed, i hooked it up as a slave to my computer and reformatted her hard drive and it worked beautifully on my computer and when i put it back into her tower it was working well for about...8 hours. After that 8 hours it started displaying the

'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)
'

SO, i figure there is some type of hardware issue in her current computer and i was just going to give her an extra tower of mine and place her hard drive in it. i took her hard drive and hooked it back up to my computer hoping to reformat her hard drive, but during the installation the hard drive brings up the same error again. it also brings up the same error while booting in safemode. since her computer is hooked up to mine as a slave there is also no way for me to access the bios (or is there? i dont know). i am also not able to get into the computer at all to even delete drivers or anything of the sort.

I am hoping someone knows how I'd be able to get rid of this error so I can reformat her hard drive. i dont care about saving data or anything. all i want to do is reformat the hard drive and make it work!

jobeard said:
if possible, find the minidump \windows\minidump
zip the file
and post it here for analysis

well, these isnt even a way for me to do anything. if i try to start the computer i get the blue screen, anything i do leads to the blue screen and i cannot get past it.

Can you at least boot to the first screen before it BSODs? The reason I ask is because it could very well be the system memory is corrupted.

If you can get to this very first screen before it BSODs then try the following:

1. On another computer google MemTest, download and install on a floppy or a burn to a CD.

2. Boot and enter BIOS and whether it is the floppy or CD drive it must be placed as first bootable.

3. Reboot with MemTest already in selected drive. Let it run for 7 passes. Any errors and the RAM will need to be replaced.

* Another thought: When your reformatted did you do a full harddrive diagnostics to see whether or not there were bad sectors on the HD? Sometimes the diagnostic tool can fix and other times the only thing you can do is toss it and buy a new one.

The harddrive may very well be beyond salvaging.

Route44 said:
Can you at least boot to the first screen before it BSODs? The reason I ask is because it could very well be the system memory is corrupted.

If you can get to this very first screen before it BSODs then try the following:

1. On another computer google MemTest, download and install on a floppy or a burn to a CD.

2. Boot and enter BIOS and whether it is the floppy or CD drive it must be placed as first bootable.

3. Reboot with MemTest already in selected drive. Let it run for 7 passes. Any errors and the RAM will need to be replaced.

* Another thought: When your reformatted did you do a full harddrive diagnostics to see whether or not there were bad sectors on the HD? Sometimes the diagnostic tool can fix and other times the only thing you can do is toss it and buy a new one.

The harddrive may very well be beyond salvaging.

Hi, well since I am running it as a slave from my computer we know the memory is good. the computer im running it from is in pretty much perfect condition, so im going to have to cancel out the memory option.

How am i even able to enter the bios? i can press F2 but that brings me into setup where i am able to do things like boot order, etc.

When i reformatted it I did not do a harddrive diagnostic. But, I am just assuming that that isnt the case because it was running very well when i reformatted the harddrive the first time and ran it from my computer. i think there must have been some hardware issue in my friends tower that corrupted the harddrive. its actually a fairly new harddrive at the most. it was just boughten and reinstalled maybe a year and 1/2 ago.

Press Del as it boots up. That should bring you into the BIOS. Then look for, I believe, the advance tabs.

Harddrives have been known to go even less than a year.

Route44 said:
Press Del as it boots up. That should bring you into the BIOS. Then look for, I believe, the advance tabs.

Harddrives have been known to go even less than a year.

ive tried to press DEL it isnt bringing up my BIOs

crazy! no worries though, hopefully someone else will know what on earth to do!

thanks so much anyway for trying!

as of know ur problem seems to be a memory issue becz it worked fine atleast for some time on ur system ..1 ..step at this point of time should be to connect the HDD to ur sysytem and run a disk clean up ..if u can boot t windows ..if not then put the OS cd and go to recovery console and type in chkdsk /p (chkdsk /r could also be done but takes a long long time)by entering into recovery console...run it 3 to 4 times ..if any error than that should fix it temporarily...then after that boot to windows and download crash analyis tool ...(type that in google u would find it **if u have dell systm than got to support.dell.com other wise the sun solaris one should work ...run it .if its a driver clash issue it would show the clashing one...uninstall it..

deepsight said:
as of know ur problem seems to be a memory issue becz it worked fine atleast for some time on ur system ..1 ..step at this point of time should be to connect the HDD to ur sysytem and run a disk clean up ..if u can boot t windows ..if not then put the OS cd and go to recovery console and type in chkdsk /p (chkdsk /r could also be done but takes a long long time)by entering into recovery console...run it 3 to 4 times ..if any error than that should fix it temporarily...then after that boot to windows and download crash analyis tool ...(type that in google u would find it **if u have dell systm than got to support.dell.com other wise the sun solaris one should work ...run it .if its a driver clash issue it would show the clashing one...uninstall it..

well, that is my current problem...ive been trying to reformat the hard drive hooked up to my computer, not in the computer with the memory issue. i cannot make it past the blue error screen. when i put in the OS disk it loads all the files and once it gets to 'starting windows installation' it goes back to the blue error screen.

one reason for the stop code is HD TOO FULL.
If you ever get it to boot (saveboot) would be great), then
Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup​

jobeard said:
one reason for the stop code is HD TOO FULL.
If you ever get it to boot (saveboot) would be great), then
Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup​

well, ive not been able to get it to boot for ages. what can i possibly do!

so, here is my newest update:
i finally figured out how to run a hardware diagnostic on the harddrive and when i try to run it it gives me an error and i am not able to run the hardware diagnostic.

any suggestions?

i believe its an error read by my hd diagnostic. all it says it... error attempting test press enter to reboot.

Well I can't give a definitive answer but it sounds like you harddrive is either going or has already crashed.

Can you at all attempt to run chkdsk /f?

well, last ngiht when i hooked it back up as a slave i went into my computers and into the properties and i ran an error check and it gave me no errors

this hard drive is done for isnt it? haha

Hmmm, can you transfer your important data to an external harddrive or flash drives when it is in slave mode?

When you ran this HD in slave and you ran error check was that with chkdsk or the HD diagnostics?

i did both while it was hooked up as a slave. i can access all of the files and everything when its hooked up as a slave. i just cant seem to get passed that blue error screen when i try to run the hd.

This sounds like a harddrive that may be beyond repair. I would transfer all the material you want to keep to another source.

wow, how embarrassing is this:
turned out i had a bad XP disc! with that being said...I'm not able to reformat this hard drive!

thanks for all your help!
xxxx

Wow, a bad XP disk! Thanks for letting us know. Computers, who can figure them...

I guess you're going to get a new XP disk?

ha, yes.

now im having a problem with my laptop! if its not one thing, its another. it flashes the bios splash screen and then just goes black but i hear my hdd spinning. its really odd. sometimes when im able to get to my desktop it restarts or sometimes freezes when i phsysically touch the right bottom corner of my computer where the heatsink and fan are. tested my RAM, its good...fan is spinning and is only heating to the highest...55 at times. clueless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back