Troubleshooting "Unknown Device" Windows XP

G

g4mer

I don't know when and how i got these two unkown devices in Device Manager. I tried to update them with automatic updates over the internet and with some CDs but failed. I hope someone can help me resolve this problem.

• Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

This is what i got:

Not Available AVSTREAM\CXTUNE.VEN14F1.US6618\5&2D94CE2F&0&1 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Im not sure if thats it because there are two unknown devices here it shows only one.

OK.

1) I can tell from the ID you just posted, this device you just reported isn't a Plug and Play device but i'll try to see if i can track it down

2) Also do the following in Device Manager for EACH of the unknown devices you see in DevMgr
> Rt click each unknown device, select Properties
> Select the Details tab
> In the pull down menu you should find a menu item you can select named something like Device Instance Id (it may have a slightly different name as i see you run Vista. But it should start with the word Device)

Vista should let you copy/paste the ID. Post both of the Device IDs you find in DevMgr for each unknown device

btw.. do you have a TV tuner card or something similar installed in your machine???
Yes, i have WinFast TV2000XP

I have Windows XP not Vista.
> In the pull down menu you should find a menu item you can select named something like Device Instance Id (it may have a slightly different name as i see you run Vista. But it should start with the word Device)

Vista should let you copy/paste the ID. Post both of the Device IDs you find in DevMgr for each unknown device
Here it is:

First Unknown device:
AVSTREAM\CX88XBAR.VEN14F1.CNXT\5&2D94CE2F&0&0

Second:
AVSTREAM\CXTUNE.VEN14F1.US6618\5&2D94CE2F&0&1

***EDIT***

When i right click one of those unknown devices and go to Properties, under General Tab, Location i see:
-on WinFast TV2000 XP Global/Global TV (XC2028)
I have CD with drivers, but i always fail to update it.

Some more info

Windows automatic updates over the internet
> Windows only keeps plug and play drivers in its online database
> Neither of the device IDs you reported are for Plug and Play (PnP) devices (PnP device IDs have a different format)
> So you won't be able to use Windows to try and find those drivers

Finding drivers for your unknown devices
> So neither of those IDs are PnP devices
> But i believe both those IDs are for your TV card and from its vendor

Try looking for drivers on vendor website (looks like its made by Leadtek?)

I completly removed drivers for tuner and installed older versions and that solved the problem. Thanks for help.

troubleshooting unknown problem is difficult. :(

anyway, if you cannot do it manually then do it automatically, use a tool to scan your devices and download/install best driver for it. I use tool from http ://xpdrivers. com/index.cfm

I hope it helps.

Back