Trump is reportedly still using his old, unsecured Android handset

midian182

Staff member

Last week brought reports that Donald Trump had handed over his beloved Android device in exchange for a secure, encrypted handset as he prepared to become the 45th President of the United States. But the same publication that first revealed the news – The New York Times – now says he is still using the old Galaxy handset he likes to Tweet from.

The article, which looks at the President’s first few days in the White House, claims that Trump continues to use his “old, unsecured” Android phone – thought to be a Samsung Galaxy S3 from 2012 – despite protests from his aides.

The Times writes that Trump sent out a Tweet from the handset yesterday, in which the President appeared to be responding to a report on the Bill O’Reilly show about the crime rate in Chicago.

The danger of cyberattacks saw former president Obama issued with a phone so limited in its functions that he compared it to a “3-year-old’s play phone.” He reportedly had another phone, which also had extra security features, that was used for those rare Tweets from the official presidential account.

If the report is accurate, then it’s another potential cybersecurity issue on the part of the Trump administration – yesterday saw reports claiming senior staffers have been using private email accounts, a practice that many say cost Hillary Clinton the election.

Trump did praise the White House’s phones in the Times interview, calling them “the world’s most secure system.” He said that “The words just explode in the air,” referring to the fact that nobody was listening or recording his conversations.

Permalink to story.

IIRC, Obama did this, too, until he finally stopped using it.

Perhaps Trump is doing this because he thinks the restrictions on his official phone are onerous. Trump knows it all, of course. Next up, he will be sending the nuclear codes on the insecure phone.

It's no big deal, just like Hillary using her own email server. Unless they are accessing top secret files. It's not fake news... No one really cares aside from those who are obsessed with hillary using her own server.... God I hate all you right and left extremist.

So was mine. It looks like TechSpot has turned into political propaganda.
No. If I remember, you were the one who linked/advertised a political (and stupid) webpage. Did you honestly think they wouldn't delete your post?

Honestly, I would rather they publicly edited yours (and the others) posts just to remove the stupid, explain why it's getting removed, and give you less claim than "Oh no! Techspot is silencing me!".

Last edited:
No. If I remember, you were the one who linked/advertised a political (and stupid) webpage. Did you honestly think they wouldn't delete your post?

Honestly, I would rather they publicly edited yours (and the others) posts just to remove the stupid, explain why it's getting removed, and give you less claim than "Oh no! Techspot is silencing me!".

So, posting political articles about Trump looking stupid with his old phone isn't that stupid, even on a technical website, but suggesting that this chimp should be removed from the office actually is? You sound exactly like a Trump's proponent.

Everything about that chimp is preposterous, it will take more than removing the opposition's links to keep him in the office.

Re-posting the link: https://www.impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/

FAKE NEWS!? New York Times is a JOKE!
Of course it's fake news.

This isn't an issue. Issues regarding smart phone security has been better handled due to the last eight years because of the popularity with IPhones. The fake NYT is just fishing for controversy because they know Trump has got the better of them.

So, posting political articles about Trump looking stupid with his old phone isn't that stupid, even on a technical website, but suggesting that this chimp should be removed from the office actually is? You sound exactly like a Trump's proponent.

Everything about that chimp is preposterous, it will take more than removing the opposition's links to keep him in the office.

Re-posting the link: [stupid link removed]
Yup. That's the one. Not because it's anti-trump, but because it was created before he even took office (literally impossible to impeach a president-elect), it's being advertised on a tech website, and because people like you decided to not even talk about the article at hand but instead go for a political jab. Heck, it isn't even confirmed if he's using his old phone!

If I wasn't responding to you, I'd half expect them to delete my posts too.

Last edited:
IIRC, Obama did this, too, until he finally stopped using it.

Perhaps Trump is doing this because he thinks the restrictions on his official phone are onerous. Trump knows it all, of course. Next up, he will be sending the nuclear codes on the insecure phone.

He'll probably recommend a Nuclear launch 'app' to be put on the App Store.

Back