Trying to learn - would my idea have worked?

Aug 8, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. Ok, I'm a novice (seriously), but there was a post about someone who couldn't remember any of their passwords or their administrator passwords to get on their was suggested to try safe mode, but they had no luck.

A year ago I had a major computer crash (the only thing I could access was BIOS...there is an area there regarding security (mine had a supervisor and a user password) - could (s)he have gotten into BIOS and accessed these or turned them off?

I could be talking apples and oranges here, but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can! I appreciate experts our there like you helping us wanna-be's!
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

Nah, it wouldn't have worked. A Windows account password is entirely separate from a BIOS password - absolutely apples and oranges. Good eye (for noticing it in the BIOS) and question, though.
  3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

Yeah, completely seperate. In fact, a guy I know tried to 'hack' into my friends computer (didn't know the windows account pass) by going into bios and changing the passwords...