TechSpot

Trying to overclock graphics card

By speedy45
Nov 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So my problem with Windows XP Home 32bit is, I am trying to overclock my graphics card which is Diamond Radeon 5670 1GB which is currently set to the following:

GPU Clock: 850MHZ

Memory Clock: 1050MHZ

So my question is at this overclock using the AMD Overdrive built it in the Catalyst Control Center. So when I use MSI Afterburner to overclock my Memory Clock to 1150MHZ it sable in 2D Mode, but when I enter 3D Mode like a game it freezes & my pc reboot, so they something I could to do overclock my Memory Clock & GPU clock as high will go?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,066   +169

You really need to upgrade to Windows 7 32-bits

3. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,283   +157

4. speedy45

speedy45 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 77

well TMagic560, I will do that once I have the money, & for fimbles I will check out that link & let u know the results of the overclock.

5. speedy45

well guys I try to overclock the Core Clock to 900MHZ it gave me problems, so I decided to leave it at the overclocks for Core Clock at 850MHZ & Memory Clock at 1050MHZ.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,066   +169

Well speedy45,
    XP will be fading away soon and Windows 7 will run on most XP computers as long as you can have at least 1GB of system memory and a decent DX10 video card. The price of Windows 7 is dropping too

7. fimbles

Thats a pretty nice overclock.

Keep an eye on your temps and your good to go :)

Windows 7 would be a good idea but will have no impact on your overclock whatsoever, Xp still holds the biggest market share (35%) and will no doubt be supported for a good while yet, though microsoft are still trying to kill it with lack of direct x 10 support, ect

8. speedy45

what I don't get is when I overclock it to 900MHZ it gave me artifacts using GPUTool the Stability Test, so does this mean it lock at 850MHZ Core Clock & 1050MHZ Memory Clock?

9. fimbles

The idea is too push as far as you can go without getting artifacts.

If your not getting any artifacts at 850/1050 and your temps are ok, save and enjoy :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.