Trying to put a SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive into my ATA-6 notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160, which has a 100GB hard drive, interface type ATA-6. I have 5GB left, so I figured more storage was needed. I purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.4 250GB hard drive, model ST9250827AS. Here is the problem. I included the model number in case I write the following wrong, the whole problem is in the look of the pins.

I went to install it and saw very quickly the interface pins are very different. On the notebook computer the interface has 42 straight pins, not including the jumpers. On the new hard drive, I can't even count pins because it is a different interface completely. There is a break in the pins...so its hard to describe, but I would say there are two banks of pins. One bank has 15 pins of different lengths and the other bank has 7 pins, also of different lengths. The jumpers seem to be in the same place though..

Has notebook hard drives changed since I bought it in 2004? Is there an adapter that I can get? If so, where could I get one and what would it be called?
HELP :(

Thank you for your help.

The new ATA harddrive does not come with the end connector (presently on your original drive)
You need to either purchase another end connector, or remove the original one (i Use a small flat screwdriver)

I couldn't find a quick pic on the net (actually didn't search much) but again it's the narrow block at the end of the original HardDrive

kimsland said:
The new ATA harddrive does not come with the end connector (presently on your original drive)
You need to either purchase another end connector, or remove the original one (i Use a small flat screwdriver)

I couldn't find a quick pic on the net (actually didn't search much) but again it's the narrow block at the end of the original HardDrive

I looked at it and thought, if I could just pull the pins off both of them and swap it, it would work. Now seeing you say something about small flat screwdriver....tell me more. Are you saying I can take off the pins?

kimsland said:
Yes

I still haven't got a pic !

Pic of what?? You want me to try to get a picture of the two drives for comparison or do you already have my problem solved?

How would you go about removing the pins? Aren't they soldered to the drive assembly?

Have you considered returning the SATA hard drive and getting a compatible ATA one?

mailpup said:
Have you considered returning the SATA hard drive and getting a compatible ATA one?

Yeah I did... However the Ebay'er that sold it to me, might not be so understanding of my blunder. Thank you for your suggestion though.

mailpup said:

Pfft, get out of here with your fancy school-boy logic :D!

That's probably your best bet, teddybeardj. Personally, I'd rather return the drive or buy an enclosure than start popping pins off my HDD. Your money, and your call :).

Best of luck :grinthumb.

kimsland said:

The picture shows the adapter I already have for the notebook, however it will not fit on this new hard drive because the pins already on it are different. There is only one level of pins, not the two rows of pins that the 42 pin has. I've been trying to get picture of it as well.

I found pictures of what I am looking for.
This picture is a hard drive just like what I have...42 pins in two rows..
http://i15.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/e4/d2/d6cb_2.JPG

Here is a picture of what I received....it is very much different. The picture you showed me would not work on this drive.
http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/e5/a4/3549_1.JPG

Now is a hard drive enclosure really the only way to solve it, or is there another adapter that would work to install it on the notebook?

kimsland said:
Here's a guide: http://www.memorysuppliers.com/laphardrivgu.html

Anyway I found the stupid thing (the pic) http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/bigdogtrucker/SL737475.jpg

Edit:

Actually for Sata please refer to Zenosincks post (external HardDrive)
(as My post is in regards to ATA only)

Gotcha. OK...enclosure it is. I was trying to avoid having to do that...so when I am out and about, its two ac plugs instead of one.
Maybe I'll just resell it on ebay, listing how stupid I was to get it in the first place.
Thanks for your help anyway..

If someone hasn't mentioned it yet or wasn't very clear about it (I skimmed through...), your laptop has an IDE interface. The new drive has SATA. They will be no way to get a SATA drive to work with your IDE interface. You will need to get an IDE 2.5" drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back