Trying to reformat my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the topic says, I'm trying to reformat my computer. I've never done this before either... I guess I'll try to explain.

It all happened when I was trying to get audio to work on sites like Youtube. Somebody told me to install CCleaner, which I did. I ran the program and thought everything was fine. I finished doing what I was doing and shut the computer down for the night.

Next day I started it up & my desktop image was replaced with something telling me to download antivirus 2008 or something like that. Then I started to browse the net and everything i searched in google got redirected. Soon after a timer popped up and when it got to zero it shut my computer down.

That's when I backed-up all of my files and found my Windows XP CD. I put it in my CD-Rom drive and it read it. Then I restarted the computer and it didn't prompt me to push a certain button to boot the CD.

So that's basically where I am. I know how to do the reformatting, I just can't get my Windows XP CD to boot.

Can anybody help me out?

Edit- I forgot to mention that now when I boot up my computer it gives me this error message, "lphcl4m0evf7.exe - corrupt file. The file or directory C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP.tt2a.tmp is corrupt & unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." And soon thereafter my computer will freeze.

You need to go to your CMOS Setup, and change the boot order to CD as first bootable device.

What?

When you first turn on your computer you will see a prompt like:
Press DEL (or some other key) to go to CMOS (or Setup, or BIOS)
Basically, press that key with 3 seconds (otherwise you need to restart again)

Once in CMOS, navigate around (usually arrow and tab keys) until you find the boot order (the label of this can vary from machine to machine)
Change the boot order to CD as first bootable device
Then press F10 (key on your keyboard) to Save and Exit

Boot with the Windows CD in the drive
When prompted, press any key to boot from CD (press the spacebar)

That's about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back