Trying to set MTU settings - it says "run as administrator" - I AM administrator

By afterglow82
May 27, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trying to set up an xbox live connection through a laptop with a mobile broadband usb dongle. I've set up the connection no problem, now i just need to set the MTU settings.

I'm doing this through command prompt with the command "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1364 store=persistent"

and it came back with the message "the requested operation requires elevation <run as administrator>"

this doesn't make sense as I am logged in with the ONLY user account, and i checked the account settings, and it is definitely the admin account (it would have to be, as it is the only account on the laptop)

i dont understand the problem

can anyone help?

thanks in advance for your time
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I could be wrong, but do you not need to elevate to admin to do that command in cmd?

I didnt think it ran as admin all the time, but I'm more of a linux person...

This might be of help... http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/run-cmd-as-administrator

It looks like you could shortcut cmd.exe to the desktop and in properties select to run as administrator...
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

You can do that, or just go to start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> right-click the command prompt link -> run as administrator. By default it's not elevated even if you are an administrator.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.