TechSpot

Tuesday tech deals: $179 off Core i3-powered Dell 15R

By Matthew
Jul 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. First problem--only comes with a 5400rpm hard drive. Skip it--to slow.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,087   +84 Staff Member

A 5400RPM HDD is too slow for typical daily usage? :rolleyes:

3. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 378

5400RPM is standard on most laptops. 7200 sure it's faster but they are more expensive (raising the cost) put out more heat so better cooling is necessary (raising the cost) and use more power (bigger battery, raises the cost) and are louder than their 5400RPM counterparts. I have a 7200RPM WD Black in my Gateway NV53 and I know these faults. Most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,371   +406

That's an excellent price for that rig. The 5400RPM HDD would be a complete non-issue to me if I were purchasing this.

5. Yes, 5400rpm should be avoided, totally; no extra heat, all these other myths. The virtue of the 7200rpm HD on a laptop revealed itself to me many years ago on my first laptop--a Dell M140 XPS. When I worked on other laptops with the 5400rpm, I noticed such a difference. I've never owned a 5400rpm anything--my external drives? Nope!

6. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 378

Spoken like a try newbie. 5400RPM Laptop HDDs are ideal for 90% or the market.

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

All I have to say is that I recently built a laptop for a friend and she spend £930 on a customised Dell Studio laptop. It didn't have the option to add a 7200 rpm hard drive so i bought one separately and installed it myself. Weirdly I found it was cooler and boot time was better but it made slightly more noise and the laptop felt a bit more like it was vibrating, but other than that I didn't really see much difference?

Until of course I started loading up Mass effect 2 then it made an impact :)

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,715   +89

54000rpm with the right cache is just fine. They place them in there to save on the battery life. Checking all my 2.5 I've seen they're all 5400rpm spins. Samsung HDDs don't seem to hold up well as the rest like Toshiba.

9. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

Picked up the Dell for a family member. For those wondering, total cost was 529.99 for me because of tax. The $19 for shipping is appreciated though. If the 5K RPM drive does end up dragging, I have a spare 7K drive to swap for it anyways, so I don't really care. Pretty reasonable price to get a Core i3 and 4GB of DDR3. I've got an estimated arrival date of 7/30, so anyone curious about it's performance feel free to PM me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.