Turkey bans Google's Blogger over soccer piracy

By Emil
Mar 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A local court has banned Google's Blogger service in Turkey in response to a complaint by satellite TV firm Digiturk that streaming media feeds from local soccer games were appearing on multiple Blogger profiles. Unsurprisingly, Google criticized the move, given that everyone is suffering over a few people's illegal actions.

Read the whole story
  2. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I cannot imagine being without YouTube and Blogger for 2 years... it's simply too much for my psyche to handle. Poor turks.
  3. Those serving on the turk's court are out of touch with reality; and it's not just turk courts, it's our own as well *geo*cough*cough*

It must be age or they're thinking that those people are all hosted and using the same "website" and the court thought they are banning just That "website". *sigh*
  4. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,022   +87

And here i thought that turks are smarted (although very annoying) than this.
  5. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

As is always the case punish the many for the actions of a few. Overkill really but it seems to be the default response to problems these days, for all those that live in turkey, sucks to be you :p
  6. hamitaltintop22

hamitaltintop22 Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

Big business wins again. Digiturk is a firm that gets rights to show soccer games from Ligtv. Private interest beats public interest any day. This is very different from the Youtube incident, because that was about historical public figures while this is about private business interests. The only similarity is Google.
  7. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

geo has nothing to do with this story, but IMO nobody has the right to tamper with Sony property. You may have bought that machine but you agree not to modify it in anyway. this Indy Dev BS. that just an excuse for pirates to get away with pirating games and should not be allowed to continue. I fully support Sony in what they are doing, however this article is not about SONY so lets leave that here.

I think the entire legal system has to change. Different laws in different country should not apply on the internet. A worldwide slandered agreed by all country needs to be agreed in order to regulate the internet. I Agree the Internet needs some regulation however not be policed, A country should not be allowed to block internet access or censor websites. Yea you can get around these blocks but bah, that's hassle!

No user should be banned from the Internet like some governments are suggesting if you are convicted of Software/ Media piracy.
  8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

My long comment got removed?! now that is upsetting :( I spent a good 10 minutes writing that up! ;)
  9. indeed two years no youtube and i thought turkey is a free country...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.