Turn on, 1, 2, turn off

My computer is custom build, has been working for over six months with a problem nothing like this. Just tonight after the computer being on for maybe 8 hours, the computer unexpectedly turned off, no new hardware were installed.

I turned on the computer thinking to myself, this is alright, computer is fine.
Of course there was a problem, after 2 seconds without a boot startup screen, the computer turend off, 2 seconds later, the computer turned on, 2 seconds later turned off and so on.

I reset the power, same problem. Held down power button for computer to stop restarting, same problem.

But there is a wierd thing about this problem, i left the computer off for maybe 20 minutes, i turned it on, i reached startup and i turned on some progams hoping that it wouldnt restart, but it did, power off power on etc.

I observed this behavior further and i found out the longer i rest my computer the longer it can be used.

- There arent that many dust covering my cpu, motherboard, just dusts on the fan.
I have three fans and the computer is cold when i touch the side and so on.

I'm not sure about my computer specs but i can tell you there are
-4 gig ram ( 2.99gig usable due to windows 7 32bit )
-2 gig graphics
-the power button is not pushed back in

i think thats all the imformatoin i can give.
Thanks ;)

Can be used for longer when well-rested, you say? Well, there are not many errors that can cause such a phenomenon to be honest. It does not sound like a malware infection or anything software-related... And it's not the BIOS/CMOS as you can reach the desktop.

Some other TechSpot hero will have to correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

It sounds (to me) like your power supply unit has gone bad. The 2 sec. - ZZZ - 2 sec. and so on sounds like the capacitors are charging -> charged full, then suddenly discharged (charging), charged full -> discharge and so on. Aka. a capacitor being "frozen."

6 months old... well if the PSU-brand is a "brand known to be a bit cheap" then possibly, yeah. Just an idea I got from reading this.

Question time:
- Do you know what the PC was doing when it first started showing this syndrome?
- Is the PC overclocked in any way?
- Can you see what brand of power supply unit you've got?

I am sure i wouldnt overclock my computer in anyway.

I had hardly any progams on when my computer shutdown, i was just on skpye talking to a friend and running minecraft. No errors of anyhing occured before this syndrome.

I am sure it would be impossible for me to identy the brand of my power supply, sorry.
:(

Definitely sounds like a power issue. I'm no real expert on desktops, but I've dealt with a decent amount of old laptops, and I usually end up having to take out the battery to get the thing to run, because it won't hold enough of a charge to keep the computer on, even when plugged in.

I've been thinking a lot lately of getting Minecraft... but that's off-topic. Sorry :D

If it's indeed the PSU, then the only fix will include a lot of wire, soldering-tin, a soldering iron, a decently old capacitor matching the old one (if it's the capacitor), a screwdriver, a multimeter, a lot of patience, a steady hand, and an ice cream cone.

It's not worth the trouble, trust me. Buying a new PSU made by robots are way more easier. But if your computer is stuck in the Irawaddy Basin of Myanmar or equivalent, then there is a fix per definition. But replacing the PSU altogether would be soo much easier, cheaper, and safer...

Edit:
So, is this a bought (OEM) PC, or is it custom-built?

Back