Turn on my computer, black screen

My computer that i own isn't working properly. Firstly, its about 4-5 years old the power button gets stuck. I've been fiddling with it from the outside to come out all the way since if it goes in all the way and doesnt come out, it keeps restarting. When i wiggle it out, it starts and goes.

Now onto my problem now. When i start up my computer, a screen pops up allowing me to press F1 for setup. if i don't click F1, my computer goes to a black screen with a _ blinking in the top right. I can't do anything from that point and when i press keys too many times, it starts beeping after i hit any key again.

Anyways if you guys could help me, I would be very thankful!

sounds like it may be time for an upgrade :)

have you made any hardware changes or installed new device drivers?

from what you describe it seems like the system is having some issues booting the operating system from the hard drive, or there could be another hardware fault causing the hangup... like the memory or motherboard itself. if you are able to view the POST screen upon startup (which displays all of the system information and keys to access BIOS etc...) then you may be able to boot from a CD-ROM to run repairs or possibly boot into safe mode by repeatedly striking the F8 key after the POST screen appears.

Back