Turns out, Microsoft's next-gen console will just be called 'Xbox'

onetheycallEric

Staff
Highly anticipated: Microsoft's next Xbox console will actually be called... just Xbox. The unveiling at the Game Awards was intended to be more of a rebranding, rather than a next-gen name. Microsoft also confirmed that this is intended to simplify future console lines under the Xbox brand.

Microsoft's long rumored successor to the Xbox One, codenamed Project Scarlett, was finally given a name at this year's Game Awards. The Xbox Series X, as it was revealed, sports a very different look for Microsoft's traditional console -- something akin to a mini PC tower, and we suspect that's deliberate.

Even more curious was the name, as "Xbox Series X" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, nor is it consistent with the past lineage of Xbox consoles' purpose-driven names. The Xbox 360 was named such because of the entertainment versatility it was designed to offer compared to the original Xbox. The Xbox One, for its part, was envisioned as an all-in-one media solution.

However, the Xbox Series X designation doesn't immediately convey any purpose -- other than to perpetuate the pretense that gamers must love the letter X.

However, speaking with Business Insider, Microsoft clarified the naming convention and explained that it's simpler than made out to be. "The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative explained to Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

Microsoft also confirmed that this will allow for additional versions and descriptors under the Xbox brand. "Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider. This also gives traction to the reports of a less powerful Project Lockhart console, which could come in the form of Xbox Series S.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmm ..... sounds like they accidentally laid off all the folks that think up those spiffy names .... LOL

Sounds like they want to reset the name with what they're hoping is the "last" next-gen console cycle of theirs...

I was less impressed by Xbox One than Xbox 360. They are gonna have to show me some serious exclusives before I can plunk down $500 or more on this thing.

If things don't change, I'm cancelling my 10 year Xbox Live subscription.

Aside from naming scheme, both Sony and Microsoft are making much needed upgrade that gamers had been waiting for years, however their design so far.... is disaster

Just Xbox??
I can already sense some people getting Confused with the name not knowing whether to the relate with old Gen xbox or new Gen xbox and when the new consoles releases trying to then sell retail copies of a Older Gen Game.

Salesman:"it Runs on Xbox"
Customer:"Okay"
then
Customer :*returns game*, it didnt work. it didnt work on my xbox
Salesman:u said you have the Xbox released this month right?
Customer: No, I meant older xbox.
SalesMan : erf...

Why not just use an incremental number scheme ? xbox 1, xbox 2, xbox 3... Why make it harder than it has to be. They do the same with Windows, Some have numbers some have names, Some early ones have higher numbers than later ones. It's just a mess.

Why not just use an incremental number scheme ? xbox 1, xbox 2, xbox 3... Why make it harder than it has to be. They do the same with Windows, Some have numbers some have names, Some early ones have higher numbers than later ones. It's just a mess.
Imho Sony does it right with the Playstation - there‘s PS, PS 2, PS 3... and you also have „slim“ or „pro“ to designate sub models. Logical and consistent.

That said, naming would really be the last thing that would make me (not) buy a console.

Aside from naming scheme, both Sony and Microsoft are making much needed upgrade that gamers had been waiting for years, however their design so far.... is disaster
I think the design is pretty sweet, but thats my opinion, if its the size I think it is then if I got one its going right where my center speaker is below the tv.

are people mad that it doesnt look like some gaudy toy? the ps4 was probably the worst looking console ive bought, the original wobbled if it was layed flat, it's slanted for no real reason except to hide the connections from me like some tease, and the pro has that annoying light strip with an uneven glow

Ok my dog is having her puppies and with a bunch of family here for Christmas it looks like I wont be getting to sleep anytime soon. So here I am at 4:30 am to take a shot at this naming scheme thing.

Xbox
Xbox 9
Xbox 11

And next year Xbox 12.

Huh? Huh??

Ugh this is just like apple and the macbook,
Which one do you have?
"uhm idk it just says macbook."

Why is naming things so hard?! they could literally just put the year on the model like xbox-19 or whatever!

I've never owned a console but now I have even more of a hate towards them. Imagine they started selling computer processors like that, just re-use the same name over and over even though the last one is about 5x faster than the first one.

Back