Turns out there was no actual game footage in the Nintendo Switch trailer

midian182

Staff member

You’ll often find that early previews of games and consoles come with the warning that footage shown is not final and “graphics/features are subject to change.” The message appears in the recently released trailer for Nintendo’s upcoming Switch machine, and for good reason: it may not have shown any actual game content.

"This video is all about explaining how the Nintendo Switch works," a Nintendo UK spokesperson told Eurogamer. "We wanted to convey in a self-contained video how Nintendo Switch represents a new era for video game systems enjoyed in front of a TV, by letting gamers play anywhere, anytime, with anyone they choose. It adds the mobility of a portable system to the power of a home gaming system.”

As you can see in the still taken from the trailer, Nintendo digitally layered gameplay footage over the top of the Switch unit to give people an idea of what playing the hybrid device would be like. Eagle-eyed viewers noticed the screen’s bottom corner overlapping the actor’s arm.

It's been revealed that adding the game footage was necessary; one of the actors who played a Splatoon pro near the end of the video told GameXplain that people in the trailer were holding dummy units.

Nintendo’s announcement comes after Bethesda and 2K Games said that Skyrim and NBA2K, both of which appear in the video, haven’t been confirmed as coming to the Switch.

“You shouldn't assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later," Nintendo’s spokesperson added.

Fan reaction to the revelations have been mixed. There are those who say that, as Nintendo states, the sole purpose of the video is to illustrate how the Switch will work; others, however, claim the company is deceiving consumers.

Nintendo said it would reveal details about the Switch's games at a later date. In the meantime, unanswered questions surrounding the device have seen the company’s share price fall as investors worry it may not meet expectations.

Permalink to story.

Simulated screen images for a yet-to-be-released console:
Tolerable

"Saying" it is going to run a beloved game, without being able to confirm it to fans:
Intolerable

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, expecting a unit to be "commercial ready" 6 months to a year before it goes on sale isn't fair to the engineers. On the other, don't show Skyrim on it if you haven't (or can't) confirm with the Bethesda that it will be available for it. Or any other well-loved franchise for that mater. They easily could have just stuck to the Nintendo-own IP, and then go "wait, we have third parties on board too" like they did in the commercial.

"You shouldn't assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage..."

People always assume. We are that stupid. We expect every product that we buy will make us happy and smiley like the people in the commercials. ;P

It's all fantasy anyway - why should we expect anything from anyone these days? Oh, yes, there is the issue of 'truth' isn't there - are we are getting a bit too 'fast and loose' with deceptions in products, contracts and politics? Umm, maybe it is time for a thorough re-think before we deceive ourselves into something really ugly.

All the way at the end of the video, in small print, was a disclaimer "Game footage not final...".

Seems like that should be mentioned right up front. 'Cause several of the shots are nothing more than the GAMES on TVs.

I for one do not see the harm done, also, Skyrim? It could've been anything or even a "Nintendo's Skyrim: A tale of blabla" or whatever, I know people love it and they are making a remastered version for the console peasants to see how it was played on a computer -lol- but it is a 5 year old game.

They are building marketing hype, and it's kind of working, a lot of people are going day after day waiting for more announcements, although they did hit a drop in their stocks but I'm pretty certain they will win more than they'll loose.

I am excited though, looking forward to it, mostly for the "party" type of games, being able to move it and have a game on the go, like a mario kart race, for me, that's more than enough.

"Game footage not final..." is one thing, Games shown non-existent is something else entirely . It clear-cut false advertising.

6 month until possible release and there's no alpha/beta they could have slapped in the system? When are they starting game development? Will the system come out with a new mario cart and then games will trickle out months later?

I don't look at it as much as false advertisement... I look at it as a wasted opportunity to get hype going for games that could be on the system. If they weren't ready to release the video, don't release the video.

Fraudulent and nasty behavior.
Zelda video had stuttering lol this thing wont even be able to play 720p videos. Ofc Skyrim wont look anywhere nearly as pretty when played on this thing.

They fooled plenty of youtubers making video analysis.

That they have to use a game from 2011 to show a console thats supposed to come in 2017... Nintendo has absolutely no games that was clearly shown only Mario.

Showing it "play" Skyrim should qualify as false advertising if they don't even know if it will be on it.
I knew it was fake because it showed someone actually playing Skyrim instead of messing with load orders in Mod Organizer or browsing Skyrim Nexus.
Haha but you know some people like playing vanilla games. I am one of them. I've never downloaded a mod for any game.

Back