TechSpot

TV/PC monitor stays black on PC startup

By seany123
Jan 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Okay so my teac lcd tv which ive been using as my pc monitor suddenly started going black screen after 0.5/1 seconds of being powered on. i thought oh crap ive broken my tv, so i get a spare pc monitor and plug it into my pc and now the monitor also stays black on pc startup. i know for a fact that windows is starting up fine, as i have standalone speakers which give the windows sound shortly after power up.

teac lcd tv: even after unplugging and just turning on it still just goes "black screen" about 1 second after turning on. what I'm meaning by this is that my tv is infact broken even when not connected to the pc and just watching freeview it starts for 2 seconds then goes black screen ill probably have to take this to a repair shop.

the monitor: i plugged the monitor into another pc i have and the montior works fine.

the PC: when testing the monitor on my pc i used the same VGA cable as i used with the "broken" lcd tv, however when i tested the monitor on my other pc i used a different VGA cable, so next test ill use the other pcs VGA cable and see if that changes anything. I have now tested the monitor with the other VGA cable and its not not working so I'm guessing I also have a problem with my pc...

So shortly after my lcd tv seemingly breaks, now my pc seems unresponsive to another working monitor, firstly what could be causing all this? could i have possible had some kind of power surge down the VGA cable causing my tv to have this "black screen" issue and my pc to possible now have a burned out graphic card?

has anyone heard of this thing happening before? all information help would be great!

EDIT: Just tested another TV with VGA input and it also wasnt displaying any picture. so i definitely have something wrong with my pc (although im still sure that its starting up fine.)

but if its completely a PC issue it doesnt explain why my LCD tv is no longer working, it must be something like what i first thought and some kind of power surge has left both tv and pc broken.

Upon looking inside my pc i noticed that the VGA port is not part of the graphics card and instead its soldered to the mb.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

Sounds like your on-board video has failed. In that case, you will have to install a PCI or PCIe video card if your motherboard supports such video cards. What are the specs of this "blind" computer?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.