TV tuner card for PC

By Skoberlink
Jul 31, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alright guys I'm looking to get a tv tuner card so that I can record cable in my dorm room. I'm planning on getting two (or one that has two tuners) so I can record and watch live as well. I have just a basic cable package (no hd or premium channels) provided by the school housing. so I have a few questions here:

1. How do I know if it works with the digital cable switch in february? do I need one that's ATSC ready or since it's cable is there not going to be a problem if I have just an NTSC? I'm not really clear on the difference. I also saw a ClearQAM on newegg

2. If I decide to buy two seperate tuner cards instead of one with two tuners if I buy one with a remote and one without will the remote still work for both? Is the remote even necessary? like I'll have a wireless keyboard and mouse so can I use those to control it?

3. Does the computer have to be on to record?

Also I'd like to hear your recommendations for tuner cards. I'm kinda on a budget so I want as cheap as I can go and still get a decent tuner card(s) that will work for me. Linux compatible would be really nice but I dual boot so windows is good too and linux compatibility is not absolutely necessary. So let me know what you think.

I'll continue watching this thread but hopefully I can get some responses today cause newegg is running a free shipping sale (as well as a few others they normally run) that I'd like to take advantage of and it ends today.

EDIT: forgot to ask about Media Center. If I do use windows and use media center does that do recording? and do I have to have a Media Center remote?

EDIT2: Is there any advantage from between USB and PCI? I plan to use it with my desktop that I built this summer but I also have a macbook pro that I could see myself using it on occaisionally if I bought a usb one. Again it's not necessary though Im not even completely sure I would use it for the laptop
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

FWIW i bought one of those media boxes that are prevalent, it allows me to record cable and TV etc and time shift as well, it also allows me to watch downloaded films straight from my PC.

Check this link for what i mean.

Regards
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.