TV tuner card for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoberlink

alright guys I'm looking to get a tv tuner card so that I can record cable in my dorm room. I'm planning on getting two (or one that has two tuners) so I can record and watch live as well. I have just a basic cable package (no hd or premium channels) provided by the school housing. so I have a few questions here:

1. How do I know if it works with the digital cable switch in february? do I need one that's ATSC ready or since it's cable is there not going to be a problem if I have just an NTSC? I'm not really clear on the difference. I also saw a ClearQAM on newegg

2. If I decide to buy two seperate tuner cards instead of one with two tuners if I buy one with a remote and one without will the remote still work for both? Is the remote even necessary? like I'll have a wireless keyboard and mouse so can I use those to control it?

3. Does the computer have to be on to record?

Also I'd like to hear your recommendations for tuner cards. I'm kinda on a budget so I want as cheap as I can go and still get a decent tuner card(s) that will work for me. Linux compatible would be really nice but I dual boot so windows is good too and linux compatibility is not absolutely necessary. So let me know what you think.

I'll continue watching this thread but hopefully I can get some responses today cause newegg is running a free shipping sale (as well as a few others they normally run) that I'd like to take advantage of and it ends today.

EDIT: forgot to ask about Media Center. If I do use windows and use media center does that do recording? and do I have to have a Media Center remote?

EDIT2: Is there any advantage from between USB and PCI? I plan to use it with my desktop that I built this summer but I also have a macbook pro that I could see myself using it on occaisionally if I bought a usb one. Again it's not necessary though Im not even completely sure I would use it for the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back