TechSpot

TV Tuners

By giyad
Oct 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, can someone explain to me why you would need 2 TV tuners? I know its something about watching a show while recording another at the same time, but some tuners say they have that capability...

I'm in the process of setting up my home theater system. I have a desktop PC which I am going to install 2x 1TB WD Caviars and turn it into a desktop/media server. I'm going to use Windows Vista Premium to take advantage of Media Center, but I see that I am going to need to buy a TV Tuner in order to record. So I was wondering if anyone had advice on a cheap TV Tuner that does digital cable as well?

One more question, I was wondering if it was possible to replace my cable box completely? I have the Explorer 8300HDC from my cable provider, but I'm renting it. I was going to build a low-end HTPC to put under the TV with a BluRay drive. This way I can consolidate everything into one box. Would this be possible or do I need the cable box?

Thanks in advance!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.