TechSpot

Tweak UI...wont

By J_Bone
Aug 17, 2003
  1. I cannot get Tweak UI to uninstall. My OS is XP!
    Before the msblast virus I was using an updated version of tweak UI. I did a system restore to get rid of a program that I couldn't delete its driver.

Well I got rid of that version of tweak UI, so I downloaded it again from Microsoft. It was corrupt so I downloaded again. No go, so I went over to geeks.com to download it and downloaded it.
    Then I installed it, but its the early version I had when I had Windows 98. Not happy with version I tried to uninstall and it will not uninstall at all.

I went to the add/remove programs and uninstalled. OK, but the icon is still on the control panel. So I click on it and it still works. Went through the help menu, it re-enters it in the registry so I can uninstall again. Now it says its been uninstalled already, but it still works?? WTF??

Anyone have a solution?

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

if I am not mistaken tweak Ui integrates itself intot he windows shell so the only real way to get rid of it is a reformat and reinstall. the best thing to do since it takes up very little space is ignore it.

3. J_Bone

J_Bone TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

Well thats what I have done, but I like the new XP version and wanted to use it.

oh well

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Can't you install the new version over the old one?

5. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 592

6. J_Bone

When I tried to install the new it said to uninstall the old version.

the other problem is I downloaded the new one from Microsoft and I keep getting a corupt file. First D/L was good, lost where I put it, second and thrid D/L are corupt.....damn,,

7. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

Its funny that this is supposed to be a "new" version, I've had it for nearly a year, and I believe I have pointed others to it in previous posts.

8. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 592

it was advertised as a new version just weeks ago

not that i bothered to notice in what way it was improved, but, nonetheless, i updated tweak ui to it's most current version

9. filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty TS Rookie Posts: 78

10. J_Bone

I downloaded again and this is the error I keep getting!

check the picture I uploaded down below.

Attached Files:

11. filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty TS Rookie Posts: 78

that version of tweakxp is for service pack 1

your error is because that function "GetDllDirectoryW" is a new function to win xp sp1.

it's trying to find a function that your computer doesn't have.
    what this means is you have 2 options.....

1. upgrade to service pack 1
    2. find an older version of tweakui

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.