Twitter hit with lawsuit claiming mass firings targeted a disproportionate number of women

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Twitter is facing another class-action lawsuit from former employees who were fired following Elon Musk's takeover of the company. The latest case claims that the terminations impacted female employees to a much greater extent than male employees and that Musk made publicly discriminatory remarks about women.

Musk has laid off around half of Twitter's 7,500 employees since taking over. Two former workers have filed a lawsuit in San Francisco alleging the new owner's policies had a "disproportionate impact" on women.

The suit states that 57% of female employees were laid off on November 4, 2022, while 47% of male employees were laid off, a disparity it calls extremely statistically significant. The lawsuit's data analysis also states that 63% of women in engineering roles were laid off compared to 48% of men in similar positions.

Musk's hardcore Twitter 2.0 initiative was also highlighted. Musk gave employees an ultimatum last month: commit to working up to 70 hours per week in the office or leave the company. It's claimed this had most impact on women "who are more often caregivers for children and other family members, and thus not able to comply with such demands."

Boston workers' rights attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan, who filed the suit, said she wanted to show that "the richest man in the world is not above the law."

"Musk and Twitter think they're never going to be held accountable in court. We are arguing that the arbitration agreements (signed by Twitter staff) are not enforceable. But if we have to go through arbitration one by one, we are ready to do that," Liss-Riordan said.

This is one of several lawsuits former workers have launched against Musk and Twitter since being terminated. One claims the mass firings violated the WARN act as employees weren't given enough notice. Another alleges that Musk removing the option for remote work discriminated against disabled workers as Twitter did not provide reasonable accommodation.

It's not just the US where Musk's changes have led to court cases. Sinead McSweeney, Twitter's global vice president for public policy, won a temporary injunction in Ireland last week to stop Twitter from terminating her employment after she didn't respond to the "hardcore" email ultimatum. AP reports that after McSweeney's lawyers received assurances from Twitter that her job was still valid, she found her access pass didn't work when she tried to return to the Dublin office.

"I felt utterly humiliated, deeply confused and was reduced to tears in a public place," McSweeney said.

Permalink to story.

So Twitter hires a disproportionate number of female employees, nobody bars and eye.

Twitter then fires a disproportionate number of female employees, everyone looses their minds.

Welcome to the majority women, this is what you wanted. Now get used to being the targets of layoffs. You're not special anymore.

"[insert any large negative event], women most affected."

If you can't or won't work a certain amount of overtime that someone else can and will, don't be surprised when that someone else takes your job (or in this case gets to keep a job).

It is a myth that a wage gap exists purely due to gender. Men on average are paid more because men on average work longer hours. It's not rocket science.

Just give the misogynist trolls a reason, or a well-placed article in TS, and they creep from their basements to oblige and wear their misogyny and hatred like a badge of honor.

Those poor victimized souls, who lost their jobs (and manhoods it seems) to a more qualified woman, are easily triggered.

Just give the misogynist trolls a reason, or a well-placed article in TS, and they creep from their basements to oblige and wear their misogyny and hatred like a badge of honor.

Those poor victimized souls, who lost their jobs (and manhoods it seems) to a more qualified woman, are easily triggered.
Yes we know everything is misogyny and hatred....or racist or homophobic or you know...something? And we know that even though it's not those things it will be by the time it's over because the religion of social justice will say so.

Maybe, just maybe, a disproportionate number of women weren't pulling their weight, or weren't following (new) company policy.

And 57% of female employees vs 47% of male employees fired on Nov 4th is not "extremely" statistically significant lol

Maybe, just maybe, a disproportionate number of women weren't pulling their weight, or weren't following (new) company policy.

And 57% of female employees vs 47% of male employees fired on Nov 4th is not "extremely" statistically significant lol
Considering Twitter decided who to keep and who to fire based on who wrote the most code, but the mark of a good software engineer is solving a problem with fewer lines of code? Sounds to me like it is more likely that Twitter fired their best engineers.

If that is the case, these two things together - that Twitter fired their more efficient engineers and fired more women - would suggest it was the men who weren't pulling their weight.

Considering Twitter decided who to keep and who to fire based on who wrote the most code, but the mark of a good software engineer is solving a problem with fewer lines of code? Sounds to me like it is more likely that Twitter fired their best engineers.

If that is the case, these two things together - that Twitter fired their more efficient engineers and fired more women - would suggest it was the men who weren't pulling their weight.
Who said that the code reviews were about quantity, not quality? You're making bigger assumptions than me lol

This is not the first suit against the All-knowing Musk, and it will not be the last
This story is ironic, (Musk putting bedrooms into Twitter offices), in that I quipped, "you can get 60 hour, six days a week jobs anywhere. Take Foxconn for example."

So now, Musk is effectively putting "dormitories", into the building, just like Foxconn.

The only difference is, I doubt Musk will have the hindsight to put up suicide nets. :rolleyes:

Who said that the code reviews were about quantity, not quality? You're making bigger assumptions than me lol
Musk walked in, still pissed off because he was obligated contractually to close the deal, and apparently fired people randomly. He was obviously targeting employees he thought, (imagined), were against his new "free speech" doctrine.

Well, Musk has been trying to hire many of them back. He even has a new sales pitch, "look, I've installed bedrooms, so you can work 70+ hour weeks here, and you don't have to commute." (**)

The whole "free speech doctrine", has blown up in his face. He reinstated "Ye", (Kanye West), only to have to suspend him a few days later.

Trump's back too, but apparently he's staying at, "Truth Social". So here, "free speech" does actually work in the public's favor, since Trump wouldn't be able to control all his "haters". At his site he can control them with bans. But at Twitter, he'd have to contend with the millions of people that are, sick, sore, and tired, of his (Trump's) bullsh!t.

(**) Which in US English translates to, "work 70 hours a week here or else, and bail me out of this crap hole I've gotten myself into".

Last edited:
Musk walked in, still pissed off because he was obligated contractually to close the deal, and apparently fired people randomly. He was obviously targeting employees he thought, (imagined), were against his new "free speech" doctrine.
Randomly? So he wasn't targeting women? Gotcha.

The numbers are kind of useless without context. They don't show total numbers. If twitter had more female employees of course more women would get fired in a purge. I suspect the article purposely hides this information in order to sensationalize.

Musk is a fool and I wouldn't want to work for him, but he always struck me as a complete simp. I'd suspect he'd want to favor women over men, if only to have more women to potentially sexually harass.

I would say that the firings confirm without a doubt that women perform worse at work than men. I need no more proof. lol.

I would say that the firings confirm without a doubt that women perform worse at work than men. I need no more proof. lol.
I would speculate that you're not a woman who worked for Twitter. Am I right, or am I right?

The "truth" these days is a variable, based on whomever spoke last and loudest. That works fine with today's closed minds. BTW, "truth", is no longer predicated upon, or synonymous with "proof"

Have you ever heard of, "Dunning and Kruger" syndrome?

Back