TechSpot

Two computers, one set of speakers

By steeve
Jan 26, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i routinely use two networked computers (one windows and one linux) for my work. both are pretty old (obsolete, some say) but they do the job.

the question: is there some device i can use (splitter or mixer or something) to connect both sound cards to one set of desktop speakers? i would ony use one sound card at a time.

thanks!
  2. steeve

steeve TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 192

3. gguerra

gguerra TS Enthusiast Posts: 559

Other than custom wiring your own switch, you could get a KVM switch with audio. The other choice would be to get an A/B switch for RCA connections, get three mini-stereo (3.5"") to RCA cables and you're set. As for the cables you can pick them up cheap here http://www.monoprice.com. As for the switch, Radio Shack has one for $15 to $20 You can google it and maybe find a better deal

It seems like overkill though for the same price you can pick up a second pair of some decent speakers.
  4. steeve

steeve TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 192

an a/b switch is just what i need, but as you say, probably an overkill

the problem with another set of speakers is MORE WIRES and STUFF :)

i already have more of that than i need. i'll have a go at building a simple device
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.